Help with Applications folder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mdude85, Sep 12, 2010.

1. mdude85 macrumors member

I recently moved to Mac after a long time with Windows so the application and file structure is taking some time to get used to.

I installed Adobe Photoshop into my Applications folder. It created an "Adobe Photoshop" folder containing a shortcut to Photoshop plus a bunch of other folders for plugins, presets, scripts, etc.

I don't want to go into the folder each time I want to open Photoshop, so I tried to move the program from that folder into the main Applications folder, but that did not work (the package would not open).

So my question is ... on Windows, I could just create a shortcut to Photoshop and place it in any folder I liked. Is there some way to do that on a Mac? I just want to create a target to Photoshop in my main Applications folder and then hide all the associated folders and files instead of having to access the folder itself from the Applications folder. But I still want those folders accessible from a Finder window.

Help!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Just drag Photoshop to the dock at the bottom of the screen.

Alternatively, you can create an alias from the Applications folder to Photoshop.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Right-click on the .app file and select "Make Alias" (same as shortcut).

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can also use Spotlight* (CMD + SPACE) to open applications or other files and folders.

And there is this nifty little application called Alfred, which is a quick application starter too.

And there is QuickSilver.

And there are many others, it seems there is no real need to have shortcuts of applications, unless one is not comfortable with the keyboard (of which I found many people, who take the longer route per mouse, even though a keyboard shortcut would have saved them up to five seconds).

Mac OS X Basics, Malware, Software and other useful links

[​IMG]

5. mdude85 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks ... it seems like if I open up the contents of a package and create an alias for the executable app, then copy the alias to another folder (such as the main applications folder), clicking on the icon opens up a terminal prompt along with the app itself. And the icon shows a generic executable screen instead of the icon for the app itself. Anyone know why this is happening ?

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Don't open the package.

7. mdude85 thread starter macrumors member

thank you for those great resources... I will do some reading. :)

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Why do you do that? There is no need to open the package (Show Package Contents) to either open an application or having it linked to an Alias.
    The package is the application itself, thus you can double click or link to it via an Alias and it should work.

Mac OS X Basics, Malware, Software and other useful links

9. mdude85 thread starter macrumors member

I tried it because I was prohibited from creating an alias just by right-clicking on the package icon itself, so I tried creating an alias from the executable within the package.

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

To create an Alias, select the application/file/folder and press CMD+L at the same time. Sometimes applications don't allow aliases though, I have not found out why yet.

11. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

Typically because we may not have write-privileges for the current folder.

Anyway, just use command-option/drag to simultaneously create the alias and put it where you want. Much easier.