Help with "Archive Option" on OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CyberPrey, Jun 6, 2007.

1. CyberPrey macrumors regular

OK, my friend and I play alot of World of Warcraft.

I had just made some changes to my interface, and was going to send it to my friend. I right-clicked on the folder and chose the "archive" option which makes a zip file. I then sent him this resulting file.

I was told that it was NOT a regular zip file and that there were other things inside of it. I asked him to send me a screenie of it, but that has yet to materialize.....

Can anyone tell me if there are differences between a Mac OS X created zip file and one done my Winzip?

Is there a BETTER way to make a compressed file containing numerous other items other than the "archive" option on Mac OS X?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The archive option is a proper zip file.

Tell your friend to look in the __MACOSX folder in the zip file and he'll find what he's looking for.

PS WinRAR>>WinZip.

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

The extra files will most probably be .DS_store and things like that, they are very small and will not pose a problem with a windows machine.

IIRC look for something like MacOSX and inside there is what was compressed.

4. yagran macrumors 6502a

it is a regualr zip.

a good program for compression/exraction is Stuffit

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Stuffit is the bane of my life, it is a stain on society. Will often produce empty directories and require 10 attempts to get some of the files out. The Unarchiver is better.