Help with Audio exporting in Final Cut Pro 7

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mikemayhem1234, Jul 31, 2010.

1. mikemayhem1234 macrumors newbie

I've created a video in Final Cut Pro, and I've got the audio track in the timline, with a crossfade. its rendered, and plays in the canvas when I'm previewing it before exporting, but when I'm exporting the video, and I go to play the video on my desktop to see the final project, there is no audio, not even a volume slider in QuickTime. What gives? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Another thing, when viewing the whole project from start to finish, it constantly stops, and tells me that frames were dropped, and it's constantly having me to render it over and over again. What gives?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What exports procedures and settings have you used? Have you taken a look at the FCP manual* for proper steps?

* Chapter 105/106 of the FCP 7 manual

3. mikemayhem1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm exporting using the "quicktime conversion". It's in 720P HD, at 29.97 fps. Haven't changed any audio settings, I've kept them at the settings that Final Cut Pro puts it at... And I have lost the damn manual -_______- is there somewhere where I can find it online?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It's available via the HELP menu right in FCP or you use the Apple Support page to view it.

Have you FCP 7 or another version?

Have you also made sure the audio tracks are selected (switched on) in the timeline?

5. mikemayhem1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've got Final Cut Pro 7. I'm pretty sure they're switched on... how do I tell?

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

[​IMG] [​IMG]

It's time for you to search for those thick manuals, as the printed version has the advantage of having it right in front of you.

7. mikemayhem1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay yeah they're on. Ugh, this is frustrating. Is there a special exporting technique I need to use to ensure that the audio gonna work?

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I tested it before I made my last post and I got sound in the QuickTime Conversion Export, when I had the tracks set on on, and I had no sound when I switched them off.

I used H264 for video, and Uncompressed for audio, the audio was an .mp3 file I quickly imported (which will only play in FCP after I render it of course).

Maybe post a screenshot or more of your export steps and the settings you did choose.

Taking screenshots in Mac OS X.

9. mikemayhem1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

[​IMG] There's a shot of my final cut pro screen.

Another thing I need help with. Along with the audio not working properly, it isn't rendering the full sequence. It's only rendering it half way, like when I export it, the video is at full length, but since the rendering stopped half way though, the video stops at a certain frame and doesn't move from there.

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Make sure you use the Apple Intermediate Codec or ProRes codec for you video footage and Uncompressed for your audio, as I see, that you use .mp3 for your audio and I guess, that your video is either using the MPEG-2 codec or an MPEG-4 codec variant like H264.
    Otherwise, you always have to render and introduce errors to your project.

I don't know why you can't export your audio, but if you make screenshots of every dialog window you encounter during the export procedure and post them here, we might find a solution.

11. mikemayhem1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm trying a different technique to export, I'll see if that works... out of curiosity, what do you guys do//use to export?

12. mikemayhem1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

Success! All I did was use the "Export QuickTime Movie" function. Same quality, music works. All is good! Thanks for the suggestions guys!

13. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Congratulations. Now find those manuals ...

I didn't know I was schizophrenic though. :confused:

14. mikemayhem1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

I shall! I might even invest in a book all about Final Cut Pro to really learn the ins and outs. and your're schizophrenic? I was unaware... xD

15. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

"It's time for you to search for those thick manuals, as the printed version has the advantage of having it right in front of you."

Unfortunately, FCP no longer comes with those nice "thick manuals" ....kinda lame too. I know they're attempting to go green...but I love my manuals. From FCP 4 forward, I have all my manuals and many hundreds of pages marked and highlighted for reference. I do wish they would go pack to the old school packaging for the software. I was bummed with both boxes from Logic and FCP this past go around.

It would use some serious ink and paper to print them all off from the *Help menu...which, BTW, as mentioned...does have all the literature from the past versions.

Good to hear you've figured it out. I like Lynda.com for video tutorials...I use it often for employee training...as the narrarator is much more patient than I:)

16. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I know.

It went from this heavy box

[​IMG]

to this small beast:

[​IMG]

I also don't like the new help format in FCS3, as it can bring my quite capable C2D 2.8GHz Mac to its knees. I prefer the PDF over that help system anyway

17. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Just for future reference, never edit H.264 directly on the timeline. Use a free program like MPEG Streamclip to transcode the video to a proper editing codec like ProRes first.

H.264 is designed to be a delivery codec and uses interframe compression, making it difficult to edit natively.