Help with AVCHD rendering using Voltaic and Quicktime

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by livinlarge, Jul 15, 2008.

1. livinlarge macrumors newbie

I have a Sony AVCHD HDD SR7 with 60gig on board. I also have a white iMac 2.16 ghx core 2 duo with 1.5 gig ram. I am using Voltaic to convert the AVCHD files to .mov files where I use Quicktime to view. I plan on using FCE 3.5 to edit my video. When i convert using Voltaic any file that is converted to a size greater than 4 gigs does not play back properly. The audio plays fine, however, the video jumps frames and sometimes just freezes on a frame while the audio continues along. All files that are converted to a size smaller than 4gigs play back perfectly for audio and video. I am converting to 1440 x 1080. If i convert the AVCHD clips to a lower resolution (720 from 1080) and the file converts to a size smaller than 4 gigs the converted file plays back properly. I have taken one of the larger than 4 gig converted files and created a DVD using iDVD to see if it would work but I still have the same problem.

I have called Apple Care with no success and another forum where I was told to upgrade to Quicktime Pro and more RAM. I really dont want to spend more money if I dont have to. I can't understand the 4 gig barrier. Can anyone assist?:(

2. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

Not a perfect resolution of your problem, but I take it you don't have iMovie08. Given that iMovie08 does the AVCHD->AIC conversion for you (so you don't need to do it in Voltaic), I wonder whether the converted file will play more smoothly. There's a variety of opinion on how well Voltaic handles the translation.

If you don't have iMovie08, then this suggestion won't pass your acid test of not spending money.

I was under the impression that 2Gb RAM would be around the minimum for working with AVCHD, converted or otherwise. That means spending money, too.

Not sure that there is any way around it. Given that either option would prove a relatively costly experiment should it turn out not to work, is there any chance you can take a file to an apple store (or equivalent, perhaps someone you know with a slightly higher-specced machine) and give it a whirl?

Another thing: 4GB is a massive size for a single converted file: is that about a 4 or 5-minute shot? Does your camera allow you to split long shots into separate ones? This might allow you to handle them more effectively. Not sure if that'll make much difference once you get them into an NLE though.

Andrew.

3. monsta75 macrumors newbie

I think that problem of 'video jumps frames and sometimes just freezes ' seems to be fixed in the latest version of VoltaicHD in v1.4.4. It was a known issue.

Phil.