help with avi file playback

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Argon21, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Argon21 macrumors member

Hello all,

I have two macs. A macbook pro, and a mac mini. Both are running 10.6.4 with all updates applied. Both have the latest version of DivX player installed.

I have some avi files that play back fine on the macbook pro, but only the audio portion will play on the mac mini!!

The avi files open up on the macbook pro with the finder space-bar preview. They also show a video preview as their finder icon. They also can play a preview in the "get info" screen for each individual file. They also play perfectly fine in Quicktime.

If I open these same files up on my mac mini, I only hear the audio, and there's no video. Finder space-bar preview only plays the audio. Opening them in Quicktime only plays the audio. The icons for these files in Finder are generic quicktime icons.

Also if I open the file in Quicktime, then do Window -> Show Movie Inspector, I get different results on each machine.

The Macbook Pro shows it as: DivX 5.0, 320x240, Millions, 16-bit integer, Little Endian, Stereo, 22.050 Khz.

The Mac Mini shows the same, minus the "DivX 5.0" part. It simply says: 320x240, Millions, 16-bit integer, Little Endian, Stereo, 22.050 Khz.

Can anyone help me? Why wont my videos play on my Mac Mini? I have other avi files and mov files and such that play perfectly fine on both machines, it's just this one set of avi files that's giving me trouble.

THANKS

2. Argon21 thread starter macrumors member

your advice is a good one the perian has done it thank you.