help with back up

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Goofy Yno, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Goofy Yno macrumors member

Not being good with upkeep, I wanted an easy back up system, so when I bought my Imac 3 or 4 years ago I went with the 1 tb time machine. well, last weekend I got the white screen of death as my hard drive bailed. INo big deal I thought, but my time machine had stopped backing up in June- After taking them into Apple- I have a new hard drive. they said to transfer the time machine over, then reset it to see if that corrects the problem.

Two issues now:
    1) I've tried to restore from the time machine 3 times- takes about 24 hours and somewhere near the end it stops saying there is an incompatibility (or something).

2) I need to by a second back up system (esp for pictures, videos and documents). I'd like to back up the computer with both the time machine and another automatic back up on another external drive. I'm looking at ones like Seagate GoFlex Ultra-portable Drive or Iomega eGo Blackbelt. will either work? or what should I get?

thanks.

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

For your second backup... I strongly suggest using a cloud based service. Mozy, Crashplan, Carbonite, Backblaze, etc. I personally use Crashplan.

/Jim