Help with backing up Monsters U

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ftaok, Aug 10, 2015.

1. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Hi folks,

I'm looking for some suggestions on how to back up my copy of Monsters University DVD. This is the US one from the 4-disc deluxe BluRay set.

This past weekend, I tried converting Monsters U DVD with my regular workflow, which is HDDVDDecrypter and Handbrake. The problem was that HDDVDDecrypter couldn't rip the DVD, so I figured out that MakeMKV could do it. I was left with a 5.4GB mkv file that I ran through Handbrake which went fine.

Now, here's my problem. If the kids end up liking the movie, they'll want me to burn a DVD for the van, but I'm not sure how to do that. I could just bring the original DVD in the van, but I've noticed the DVD is deteriorating at the hub, and I've never used this disc until this weekend. I'd like to have a back-up in the event the original gets too bad.

Anyways, Toast 7 doesn't recognize the mkv file. MPEGStreamclip won't open it. The only app that opens it is VLC (and handbrake). I tried VisualHub, but got and error saying that ffmpeg wasn't installed.

Is there any way to use the mkv file to burn a DVD (playable on a DVD player)? What apps may I need get? I suppose my last resort would be to take the Handbrake file (h264) and run that through Toast (or MPEGStreamclip) and burn a DVD that way, but it seems I would lose some IQ. But then again, Toast would have to recompress the file anyway since it exceeds 4.3GB.

Thanks for any suggestions and help.

ft

2. Unami, Aug 10, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2015

Unami macrumors 6502a

you don't have to compress it further, just use a double-layer dvd.

about recovering the mpg files from the mkv, i found this information on the makemkv homepage:

"Since all meta information is preserved in MKV and compressed media data (video, audio, subtitles) is not changed in any way it is always possible to transcode MKV files into original format. For example, MKV files produced from a Blu-ray disc may be transcoded back to a Bly-ray image or set of M2TS files without any losses by freeware transcoding tools[1]."

and

"Transcoding tools:

• tsMuxeR is a free tool that can transcode MKV file produced from DVD or Blu-ray back into Blu-ray disc or M2TS file[1]."

here's another link to that tsMuxeR: http://www.videohelp.com/software/tsMuxeR

i haven't tried all of this myself, though