Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ricardo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
Hi everyone,

I would like to do a clean install of Panther on my ibook, but I need to backup my mp3's, iPhoto library, iCal, Address book and documents. I don't have a DVD burner, so my only option is to use my ipod as an external hard drive, but first I need to reformat it.

Is there anything tricky I should know about reformating the ipod, and backing up and restoring data with an ipod before I go on?

I'm pretty new to OS X (I had a mac back in the days of system 7 and have recently switched back), so please be gentle :)

ricardo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
Also, will the software restore cd's that came with the ibook (appleworks, etc.) work after I install panther?

Thank you!

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
Re: help with backup and panther clean install

Originally posted by ricardo
Hi everyone,

I would like to do a clean install of Panther on my ibook, but I need to backup my mp3's, iPhoto library, iCal, Address book and documents. I don't have a DVD burner, so my only option is to use my ipod as an external hard drive, but first I need to reformat it.

Is there anything tricky I should know about reformating the ipod, and backing up and restoring data with an ipod before I go on?

I'm pretty new to OS X (I had a mac back in the days of system 7 and have recently switched back), so please be gentle :)

First, with your iPod plugged in, go to the left side of your iTunes window. It shoud say Your Name's iPod. Click on that, and then go to the lower right hand corner of the iTunes screen. Click on the iPod logo button, and clilck on "Enable FireWire Disk Use". After that, there shold be an icon of your iPod on your desktop, or open a new Finder window and click on "My Computer". After that, just drag and drop what you want to save to the iPod either to the icon on the desktop or in the Finder window. Make sure you eject the iPod correctly by dragging it's desktop icon to the trash.....a eject thing should appear where the trash was. To reinstall your files after you do a clean install of Panther, just plug in the iPod and drag the files from the iPod icon onto your desktop or where ever. Easy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.