help with basic photoshop

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jplg842, Apr 11, 2007.

1. jplg842 macrumors regular

Hi guy.
    im new to macs got my macbook a month ago. its great i love it alot.
    but the thing is i still dont know how to use anything yet.
    i dont know how to use imovie, i dvd, garageband, keynote, photoshop, indesign. i have them all but dont know where to start from!!
    please guy anyway to know the basic stuff???

Thanks

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You need to start messing around with the programs dude. You are basically saying "I don't know anything about anything!". Which is way to vague for me to help you with.

Go have some fun with all of that stuff. Start with Photoshop filters, there are some cool effects in there.

3. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I suggest just fooling around with them until you figure stuff out.

The iApps especially are rather intuative.

Otherwise, you could pick up some missing manual books or something, but I really don't think you need those if you're just dealing with the basics...

4. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Google "photoshop help" and that'll get a ton of results. Like GimmeSlack12 said, just mess around!

5. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

First of all, welcome to the forums. :)

The easiest and cheapest way to start, is to check out the help files. Mac programs usually have very good help files, set up for people with no previous knowledge. You'll find Apples online support for the iLife programs here: http://www.apple.com/support/software/

Photoshop also has good help files, set up in a way that you can address one issue at a time. You can also access tutorials from "Photoshop online" in the help menu of the program.

I've never used Indesign, but I assume the program has help files to get you started, and I found tutorials here: http://desktoppub.about.com/od/adobeindesignbasics/Adobe_InDesign_Basics.htm

Once you get beyond what the help files and tutorials show you, you can find a big selection of "how to" books on a lot of programs in any decent-sized bookstore.

I'm sure there are many other good resources, this is just to get you started. Once you've started, if you run in to specific questions about specific programs, you can post them in the Applications sub-forum, and you'll probably get lots of good help there.

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I started by just fooling around with the programs and looking things up in the Help files. The help files, unlike their windows counterparts, are actually helpful and very easy to search through.

7. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

There are quite a few digital photo magazines that have Photoshop tutorials on the cover CD that comes with the Mag. These are very easy to follow and great fun.

The "Dummies" series of books is also quite easy to follow.

Photoshop is one serious piece of software, don't think you will become a master in a few short weeks. I have been using it for ten years and still have lots to learn.

FJ