Help with basic questions for adding SSD to 2011 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jimmy219c, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Jimmy219c macrumors newbie

Hi,

I would like to upgrade my Late 2011 13 in. Macbook Pro by removing the original HD and adding an SSD. I am not real "techy", but saw a video showing how simple it is to remove the HD and add the SSD. My question is, will this SSD be compatible with my Macbook Pro?

Samsung MZ-750250BW 750 EVO 250GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal SSD

And if so should I notice a difference in performance if I add it? I am not looking for the best SSD out on the market I just need something that will give a boost and is also affordable. Once purchased, is all I need to do pop the HD out and pop this in and I should be good to go?

Sorry for the basic questions and I appreciate the help in advance.

2. JTToft, Jun 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2016

JTToft macrumors 68040

- It will, yes. Although the 750 EVO is very much a budget offering with all that that entails. If you can source 850 EVO at a similar price, I would recommend that instead.

- Quite a huge difference, in fact.

- Yup. You do, of course, need to load some content onto the new drive. You can restore from a Time Machine backup you have, or you can clone the old drive directly across to the new SSD if you attach one of them externally.

3. jerryk macrumors 68020

Another vote for the Samsung 850. Good drive at reasonable price. 256 GB is around $87 (Amazon or Newegg).

I upgraded the same system (also added 16GB of memory) and it was fast. The change was definitely noticeable. Applications that used to bounce the beach ball for 10-15 seconds came up in 2 seconds or less. Every thing just feels snappier.

I did a fresh install since I had applications I no longer used cluttering up the old drive. I installed the SSD and powered up while holding CMD R. I then formatted the drive, create a partition, and download OSX via Wifi. 15 minutes later I was logging in to a completely clean and FAST system.

4. treekram macrumors 6502a

On Amazon right now, the price difference is $4 between the 750 and 850 Evo. At those prices, it's a no-brainer to go with the 850 Evo.

5. drewjonn macrumors regular

I'd go for the 850 EVO instead. Can't go wrong with that. I don't think you will regret adding just a few extra dollars for the 850. Best selling SSD if I'm not mistaken.