Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mateolevi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
I'm completely new to jailbreaking and want to jailbreak my iPhone 4. Will I be able to jailbreak it and then use my current settings, applications, contacts, and pictures on my iPhone by using the most recent sync file?

Thanks!

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX
I'm completely new to jailbreaking and want to jailbreak my iPhone 4. Will I be able to jailbreak it and then use my current settings, applications, contacts, and pictures on my iPhone by using the most recent sync file?

Thanks!

First thing you should do is back up your phone in itunes then go to iclarified.com and follow the steps exactly.

everything will work as before but with more options ;)

mateolevi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Thanks for the quick response.

I read through the steps earlier and just wanted to make sure that I would be able to sync it back up. Is that what the "custom ipsw" is?

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX

I read through the steps earlier and just wanted to make sure that I would be able to sync it back up. Is that what the "custom ipsw" is?

Not exactly, but after you finish the set up you will not have any hoops to jump through when syncing from then on. Most all of my stuff comes from iTunes so that was important to me to.

I'm not 100% sure why they want you to download the iOS and not just update in itunes but the safe bet is to follow the steps as close as possable.

It tells you to unzip the redsn0w file but mine didnt need to be so the file was slightly different. Also be sure to hit option when you restore so you can shose the file to restore from. I almost missed that :eek:

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
stock ipsw-what you d/l from apple
custom-what you make with pwnage or its equivalent

kavika411

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2006
Alabama
Please don't flame me for asking this novice question. I did just go to the iclarified site and read through it. It's very friendly to those of us who don't know jack about jailbreaking.

My question: Do I first upgrade to 4.3.1 via iTunes? Here's why I ask. When 4.3.1 came out a week or so ago, I knew I'd be trying to jailbreak ultimately, and I asked a buddy who knows this stuff whether I should upgrade to 4.3.1, or continue to wait until the "untethered" jailbreak for 4.3 came out. He said not to upgrade to 4.3.1.

So, I still have 4.3. Do I jump straight into the iclarified instructions, or first upgrade to 4.3.1 and then do the iclarified instructions?

Thanks a lot for advice.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
A week ago your budy was right but this morning the untethered jb for 4.3.1. was released.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
Do you foresee ever wanting to use your device on another carrier? Or do you plan to stay with you current provider years down the road?

mateolevi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
I don't foresee using it with a different carrier. I'm pretty happy with AT&T.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Please don't flame me for asking this novice question. I did just go to the iclarified site and read through it. It's very friendly to those of us who don't know jack about jailbreaking.

My question: Do I first upgrade to 4.3.1 via iTunes? Here's why I ask. When 4.3.1 came out a week or so ago, I knew I'd be trying to jailbreak ultimately, and I asked a buddy who knows this stuff whether I should upgrade to 4.3.1, or continue to wait until the "untethered" jailbreak for 4.3 came out. He said not to upgrade to 4.3.1.

So, I still have 4.3. Do I jump straight into the iclarified instructions, or first upgrade to 4.3.1 and then do the iclarified instructions?

Thanks a lot for advice.

The jailbreak is for 4.3.1 so you should upgrade to that, then jailbreak it.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
I don't foresee using it with a different carrier. I'm pretty happy with AT&T.

Yes I am as well as I've been with them also since 2005. When I got my 1st iphone in 2009 then the next version in the spring of 2010, I NEVER even considered jailbreaking, and even further.. unlocking. Then here we are in 2011 and I'm going to need my phone overseas. Well I can't because it's locked into AT&T and even though the contract was or will be over, it will remain locked to their network, rendering the phone useless.

After reading all of these threads and getting smart to the possibilities all of these smart folks provide to beginners, such as myself, I've learned to make sure I keep my doors open. lol I'm not trying to push anything onto you as it's solely your decision. I just know that there are ways to preserve current programs the phone possess for future use that the carrier may not be so willing to give.

So thats why I asked because if, in the future, you decide otherwise, you'll have opitons. Okay that was my 2cents..sorry.

mateolevi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
So I jailbroke my phone using pwnage and am restoring from backup but I am actually watching the memory on my computer tick down as it restores. It's already eaten up 2 Gigs and it says about 28 minutes left. Why is it eating up this memory?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.