Help with Battery Life/Warranty

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by holabola, Jul 21, 2013.

1. holabola, Jul 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2013

holabola macrumors newbie

So, I bought my Macbook Air (New Mid 11' 2012 model) about a year ago, and for the last 4 months, I've had issues with my battery lasting 1 and 1/2 hours to 2 1/2 hours. I took my laptop to school everyday, and usually only charged it from 20% or lower to max, or, in a nutshell, took care of my battery. I took it to the Apple Store and insisted that it wasn't normal for it to drop 5% in 2 minutes, but they looked at me like I was retarded and sent me away. I have Applecare for another 2 years, and I was wondering what I should do. It's gotten to the point I have to bring my charger anytime I take my laptop anywhere. Do you guys have any advice to get them to change the battery, or what else I should do? (Maybe even faking a hardware problem because I'm really getting sick of this battery.)

Edit: I left out information I probably should of provided here in comments below, so if you could, take a look at those :p Sorry! (And thanks for everyone's help and input so far!)

2. simsaladimbamba

3. holabola thread starter macrumors newbie

I went there twice. The first time I took it in, they said they couldn't do anything because I had changed the color of my dock to black (I know complete bull but, I kept my cool.) I returned completely reinstalling OS X, they took it in back again and said "it met their battery quality standards and passed their testing." Again, absolute bull, but, I didn't know what to do. I'm only sixteen. I'm not really in the position to tell them off xD.

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

If your battery health is less than 80% before you reach 1000 charge cycles, they will replace your battery for you.

Download coconut battery to check your health and charge cycles.

5. holabola thread starter macrumors newbie

My battery is at 89% health with 279 charges, but I get this horrible battery life. What do I do?

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Nothing you can do but isolate the problem that causes your battery drain. My 11" 2012 MBA is at 274 cycles and 93% health and I can get about 4-6 hours depending on use. As soon as I pull up something flash related that 4-6 hours drops to 1-2.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

8. holabola, Jul 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2013

holabola thread starter macrumors newbie

I probably should of stated this before. I did some makeshift tests of my own, and by leaving my computer with nothing but Skype open (CPU running at less than 10%), and with brightness halfway, I got 2 and 1/2 hours of battery life. That is my max. My battery also drains quickly while asleep. About 10% or more if I leave it closed for 12 hours. This is what I usually have running on my computer.

I installed Flashblock into my browser, and I will see how it fares now, as normally I have my browser open at all times. Thanks for the input!

Attached Files: