help with BenQ BL3200PT

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by snowboardpunk, Mar 22, 2017.

1. snowboardpunk macrumors regular

I just bought a refurb bl3200pt for 250, which seems like a good deal. I know it has a VA panel but its been getting pretty good reviews with color accuracy but I hear has some bad ghosting in games but luckily I don't game. Im about to return the 27ud68, realizing I don't need 4k and the BenQ has 100% sRGB vs 99% sRGB and cost 150 less. I only use it for production like renderings, architecture programs in bootcamp, and photoshop.
    But my questions is it comes with dvi, DisplayPort 1.2, hdmi, and d-sub. Which one do I use to connect to my 2016 rMBP? I heard different connections have different speeds, so which one would be the fastest? I would need to buy an adapter anyways because I only have usb-c.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

I'm going to guess that your best option is to go with usb-c/minidisplayport-to-displayport, like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-...rds=usb-c+mac+mini+displayport+to+displayport
    Note: this looks to be an "adapter only" -- you'll still need a displayport cable as well.

The other option might be to go with usb-c/minidisplayport-to-HDMI 2.0, but I believe those adapter/converters are more expensive.

I would be wary of usb-c to HDMI. You might end up with only 1080p instead of 1440p.

I welcome correction by others who may be more knowledgeable.

3. kschendel macrumors 6502a

What Fishrrman said. I have a BL3200PT (mostly for text / development work, the screen space is lovely), and the DisplayPort input is the way to go if you want full resolution. The item Fishrrman linked to is USB-C to mini-DP, you'll need a mini-DP to DP cable. I got mine from monoprice.com (I'm running from mini-DP on a Mac Pro to DP on the BenQ).

4. snowboardpunk thread starter macrumors regular

Ok thanks! Just bought a USB c to dp. How do you like the benQ? Are the colors good? I can get the 32" hp omen for the same price.

5. kschendel macrumors 6502a

The BenQ replaced a 24 inch Apple LCD, which was a gorgeous display but after 7 years started flaking out. I picked the BenQ because I still have a GT120 in my cMP and at its max resolution of 2560x1440 (*) the BenQ would have very nearly the same actual-sized pixels as the Apple, but way more screen space. I don't do colors or graphics so I can't pass judgment on the color fidelity, except to say that the colors look reasonable to me; desktop wallpapers are snappy and clean. The BenQ anti-glare is pretty minimal, no cross-hatching or blurring, but you just can't beat the blacks from a glossy screen like the Apple. You can't beat the reflections either :) so pick your poison. A plus is that you don't get the IPS glow off-angle in the blacks from the BenQ VA panel. (I often work at night; the IPS glow isn't an issue for most users.)

I do mostly software development on this machine, and I hate fan noise, which is partly why I stuck with the original GT120 which is dead quiet and a known quantity. I've toyed with the notion of going 4K and HiDPI blah blah but I also mostly run linux and I have better things to do than babysit drivers etc just for an increment in display gratification. (plus, I have an rMBP and if I need to see lovingly rendered text I can look there.) But anyway, yes, I like the BenQ, I love the display size, there's nothing obvious wrong with it for my needs, and if you got one for 250 I'd say the price is right.

(*) I think the Gt120 can do 2560x1600 for a 16x10, and I almost got a Doublesight DS309w, but price differential, pixel size, and availability convinced me to go with the BenQ. All else being equal, I'd prefer 16x10 over 16x9, but I can live with 16x9 quite easily given the real estate on the BenQ. I was afraid that 32 inch might be too big, but nope.