Help with Bento (or general database advice)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sionharris, Oct 1, 2009.

1. sionharris macrumors regular

Okay, so it's been years since I created a database from scratch. I know the basics, but I'd like a bit of guidance if possible to help me create something tailored to my needs. And I'd also like some help with basic questions about Bento.

What I need:

A database that stores information about all of my DJ CDs, that is instantly searchable in a number of different ways. I need to store several fields of information about each individual track - name, artist, who remixed it, length, notes, etc. I also need information about each CD, i.e. the name of the album, reference number (I intend to index everything), maybe even a picture of the cover.

What I need to be able to do with it:

Search for a track name and instantly see every copy of that track that I own, and information about what CD each is on and all the different versions I have available.

Browse through my albums by cover, for those moments when I need something visual to prompt my next selection.

This all needs to be incredibly easy to do as I often have a few drinks when I'm playing.

Basic questions I have about Bento:

How do you change the font of either field names or the entry boxes? The whole thing seems disappointingly inflexible.

2. nastebu macrumors 6502

you can do what you want in Bento. You'd set up two libraries, one of tracks and one of CDs, and then add a related records field to the CD library.

As for changing the fonts in Bento, you can't change individual fonts. You apply a theme and Bento formats everything in that theme, which includes fonts, background colors, etc. They're nice themes, but no, not flexible.

That being said, if you've ever fooled around with a serious database like Filemaker, you'll know that all that flexibility comes at a great cost in complexity. Unless you already know Filemaker, or have an enduring interest in clambering up the steep learning curve (worth it in the long run if you have time) of a serious database, Bento is by far your best choice. It's easy, syncs very well with the iPhone, and looks quite nice.

3. sionharris thread starter macrumors regular

I learned how to use Filemaker at school but haven't used it for about 9 years now. I only want this one database, so if Bento can provide what I want then I'm happy.

How would I link the two libraries in Bento? By giving a reference that's common with both the album and all tracks on it?

4. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

I know filemaker comes with "canned solutions" which one of them being a music library. I'm not sure if Bento comes with some of these pre-loaded solutions. But, you could start there and modify like I did.

5. sionharris thread starter macrumors regular

There is one you can download from the Bento website, but it doesn't allow you to give attributes to original tracks. It's a good starting point though. I can't afford Filemaker!!