Help with bluetooth between my ipod touch and macbook?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by krisveldhuizen, Mar 6, 2010.

1. krisveldhuizen macrumors newbie

Hi. I am trying to connect my ipod touch to my Macbook through bluetooth. Both are set to 'discoverable' and in settings>bluetooth on the ipod touch I find under 'devices' indeed the name of my Macbook.

So that's good.

However, when I then click on the name of my computer, on the ipod toch, it shows the loading circle and then goes back to saying "not connected".

So I tried it the other way. On the Macbook, I clicked "Set Up Bluetooth Device.." and then clicked on "any device", as the ipod touch is not in the options list (which is weird?). The ipod touch indeed does get found, but is registered as a headset :)S). Okay, I continue...

I am asked to enter a password. I do so. Indeed I get a screen on my ipod touch which asks me to enter the same password so the devices can connect to each other. I do that...and the ipod touch goes back to the bluetooth screen, which says "not connected" for my macbook, and on my Macbook it says "there were no supported services found on your device".

So basically I don't think I'm doing anything wrong. I THOUGHT, for example, I could use the bluetooth between my ipod touch and Macbook to wirelessly sync my contacts, for example, or my calendars etc. Is that at all possible then? Can anyone tell me what I may have done wrong?

Thanks in advance.

PS my ipod touch is not hacked or anything, so it can't be that.

2. diabolic macrumors 68000

You can't sync contacts etc. via bluetooth.

3. krisveldhuizen thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah okay. Still, how come I can't connect my laptop with my ipod touch through bluetooth?

4. diabolic macrumors 68000

I'm pretty sure you can't connect an iPod or iPhone via Bluetooth to a computer at all. Exactly what are you trying to do?

5. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

^ agreed. i think there is a Blutetooth chip in the 2nd and 3rd gen Touchs, but i don't think you can actually use them for syncing data.

6. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

Natively it will only pair with suitable A2DP capable headphones and even then only with limited functionality.

For jailbroken devices there is an app called iBlueNova available on Cydia that will allow file transfer between devices.

7. krisveldhuizen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. It's surprising to me that Apple would install bluetooth capabilities but then so heavily cripple the potential. Why not allow people to use it to the fullest? Ah well..

8. jonathan999 macrumors newbie

Does this madness of Apple not allowing bluetooth capable ipod touch devices NOT use bluetooth to connect to the computer still persist even now with ipod touch 4th generation?

The 4G ipod touch officially has bluetooth, but I have not yet been able to find any info about whether I can use it to connect the device to my MBP.

Does anyone reading this know the answer?

With thanks,

J :confused:

9. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

iOS 4.0 added bluetooth support for keyboards. I've tested and proved to myself it works. I don't think there is mouse support. No file tranfer either. Improved wireless headphone support.