Help with "Bootcamp install of Windows without using the super drive "

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jackdh, Sep 12, 2010.

1. jackdh macrumors newbie

So this is what i need help eith i did it all apart from this bit, i am so close any help would be amazing i am using VMware fusion 2, might i have to have version 1?

link to thread
    HTML:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=601414
    Code:
    I opened up the settings for the newly created virtual machine, and changed the disc to point to my Windows 7 ISO file.

Code:
    'm working on installing Windows 7 without a DVD (broken SuperDrive here) using VMWare Fusion and the instructions provided by melchior.

I think I've figured out a way to make VMWare install Windows 7 to the Boot Camp partition.

I'll try and see if it works, and if it does I will post instructions.

Edit:

Great news, I got the Boot Camp partition to show up in VMWare Fusion when installing windows. I'm going to install it! 

Here's what I did:

Step 1: Installed VMWare, opened up the application to make sure everything worked correctly, then quit.

Step 2: I created a folder in the root of my hard drive (Macintosh HD) entitled "Virtual Machines"

Step 3: I typed the following into Terminal:

Code:
    cd /Virtual\ Machines
    Then..
    Code:
    /Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Fusion/vmware-rawdiskCreator print /dev/disk0
    A list of my computer's partitions appeared, then I typed..
    Code:
    /Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Fusion/vmware-rawdiskCreator create /dev/disk0 3 windows7 ide
    You can see a screenshot of Terminal after typing in these commands below.

After that, I opened up VMWare Fusion. I chose to make a new machine, I hit Continue Without Disc.

I chose Use existing virtual disk, then selected windows7.vmdk out of the Virtual Machines folder in root of Macintosh HD. 

VMWare asked me if I wanted to convert the disk into an "updated" version, I chose not to convert the disk image.

After that, I unchecked "automatically open machine when VMWare starts", then hit finish. [COLOR="Red"]I opened up the settings for the newly created virtual machine, and changed the disc to point to my Windows 7 ISO file.[/COLOR]

I started the machine, and VMWare successfully recognized my Boot Camp partition and I'm installing Windows 7 onto the partition right now.

Screenshot of Terminal after typing in commands:

Update:

Setup completed successfully in VMWare and rebooted. I'm going to try and natively boot off of this, if it doesn't work I'll try winclone (I think winclone might set the partition to active when it copies the flies to the partition, that's why that "trick" causes the partition to become bootable again).

Side note: The reason why you type disk0 into Terminal instead of the actual ID of the Boot Camp partition (usually it's disk0s3) is because the VMWare Raw Disk Creator considers the Boot Camp partition a "special" partition and tags it with a 0 rather than using the usual disk0s3 stuff.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Post in that thread.

What step are you on, what is the problem?

B

3. jackdh thread starter macrumors newbie

I said which step i am on :p

"and changed the disc to point to my Windows 7 ISO file." I CAN'T FIND IT arrrrrrrr

I also posted in the thread but like no one replyed

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You need to learn how to request help. I think spinnerlys (who did reply in the other thread) has a nice guide about that.

I've posted more detailed instructions in the other thread.

B

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That thread is not by me, but by mad jew.

The following is taken from the thread titled "How to maximise your MacRumors troubleshooting experience" created by mad jew in 2006. It contains more elaborate information on the short extracts I took from it and should help you in finding appropriate help. I also made some additions after finding that thread.

1. Search for threads or guides containing similar problems.
      MRoogle is quite a good tool to search these forums.
    2. Start your thread in the appropriate forum or sub-forum.
      Here is the forum's main page with the list of all the sub-fora found here.
    3. Use a specific thread title.
      "Need help!!!!???? ASAP!!!" and its variants are not specific.
    4. Find and post machine hardware and software configurations.
      You can find out more about your Mac by going to the Menu Bar > :apple: > About This Mac > More Info ... (this button opens Applications / Utilities / System Profiler) > Hardware Overview.
    5. Tell us your problem, and be specific. What is happening to your machine?
      What Mac OS X version and what Mac do you use, ... .
    6. How long has this been happening? What changes were made just before this started?
    7. What have you already tried?
    8. Respond to all posted advice with details of what happened.
    9. Be wary of the (very) occasional bad advice.
    10. Be patient.
    11. Be courteous.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

No wonder I couldn't find it quickly. You use it so well it might as well be yours. ;)

B

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Though I haven't used it for a while, only the link in my "thread title" reminders or if a post cries for it.

Hmm, OP, are you still there?