Help with Bootcamp on 2015 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by spinstorm, Jul 31, 2015.

1. spinstorm macrumors 65816

I need some help!

First of all my problem might be fixed by having the correct bootcamp drivers for OSX. I have a 2015 13" Macbook Pro however I can't download the drivers via Bootcamp Assistant because I am running El Capitan and that doesn't provide the option to download the drivers. And the new drivers can't be downloaded directly.

So if anyone has 2015 Macbook Pro bootcamp drivers that would be so helpful!

I think it will fix my problem; but just to cover myself this is my story!

• MacBook Pro 2015 13" with El Capitan Beta installed; I want to install Windows 10 to a BC partition
    • Therefore no ability to download Bootcamp drivers through BCA
    • Direct driver download doesn't work as they are for last year and previous models only
    • El Capitan will only let me partition up to 36GB on my 128GB drive. This is not enough space to update Windows 8.1 to 10 (That requires 40GB) and I can't partition it to a larger size. As a result the Windows 10 update always failed as there wasn't enough space after the update was downloaded to extract and install it. I can't even run an update through the Windows 10 updater app as it requires even more spare capacity than the direct windows download through windows updates.
    • So I directly installed Windows 10; but the bootcamp drivers are not supported; they bring up an error saying that this version of Bootcamp isn't made for my model.
    • I hope that if someone can provide a direct link to the 2015 drivers I can get Windows 10 working.
    • Otherwise I will have to reformat the disk, reinstall Yosemite, repartition and reinstall Windows 10 which will probably take 3 days (because it's Windows so nothing works first time).
    Can someone help out? Thanks.

2. Saudumm macrumors newbie

Saudumm

The problem is: if you don't have a Windows 10 license, you will have to upgrade your Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, otherwise you can't activate Windows 10.
    Have you tried using the Media Creation Tool, Download the Windows 10 files, create an ISO image and create a bootable USB stick, then start the setup from that stick in Windows 8.1 and choose to upgrade? That way you can delete the setup files from your hard disk.

3. spinstorm thread starter macrumors 65816

I am not worried about a Key; as I have multiple devices and can upgrade them from 8.1 to 10 which will upgrade my key. And I can skip key installation until after its installed.

As far as the MCT - that doesn't work with upgrading 8.1. Even with a USB stick it still needs more space than my MacBook has on the Bootcamp partition and I can't change the partition size thanks to El Capitan otherwise an upgrade from a working 8.1 to 10 would make more sense.

4. Saudumm, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015

Saudumm macrumors newbie

Saudumm

Your key won't be upgraded to a Windows 10 key and even after an upgrade, you can't install Windows 10 with a Windows 8.1 key on another machine. Your free Windows 10 upgrade will only be activated if you upgrade from an already activated Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 and a clean installation of Win10 is only possible on that same machine, because your activation is bound to this hardware and only for the lifetime of this hardware. That's the catch with the "free upgrade". If your machine dies after August 2016, you have to buy a Win10 license, because there's only your Windows 8.1 key and no way to upgrade for free anymore.

For resizing your partition: Will something like this work? https://discussions.apple.com/message/23408897#23408897
    Are you able to reduce the size of your El Capitan partition?

Edit: I guess here's another way: Resizing Bootcamp Partition?

5. spinstorm thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks but it seems both methods for resizing the partition have issues; and neither is ideal so I would prefer not to use them. The windows key is the last thing I am concerned about. I can't even get the internet working in Bootcamp right now.

Those issues are caused by El Capitan. First I would prefer to try reinstalling the drivers but I need the 2015 drivers to do so. Does anyone have them? Thanks.

6. chrfr macrumors 603

It's definitely the long way around, but you could use internet recovery to install Yosemite to an external disk, then get the Boot Camp drivers from the assistant that way.

7. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

I have windows 10 enterprise evaluation installed on my Macbook Air, with 128 GB storage and El Capitan.

So, if I were you, I would like to first try to reduce El Capitan partition size before trying to partition bc for Windows. I now have 50 GB bc size.

The only difference is: I am using a 2014 mba, not early 2015 or mid 2015 one.

You can jump downloading process and only let bca partition for Windows.

8. spinstorm, Aug 1, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2015

spinstorm thread starter macrumors 65816

Great idea to install to a portable drive and download the drivers.

It worked perfectly and BootCamp download the correct drivers and installed them into Windows 10.

I am currently uploading them to a few cloud services and will share them here shortly. I would recommend anyone who needs them also uploads them and shares them so anyone with a 2015 MacBook doesn't have to look for days to the solution if for any reason they can't download the drivers on their own Macbook.

Google Drive Download