Help with Bootcamp / Win 7 install... No superdrive available!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by theaero, Oct 15, 2012.

1. theaero macrumors 6502

I have an iMac with no superdrive, which is making life very difficult for me! I am trying to find a way to install Windows.

I have a genuine Win 7 Ultimate disc, 2 internal drives (in the iMac), two external drives, two thumb drives, and a MBP w/ working Superdrive at my disposal. I also have a MBA USB Superdrive.

Can someone please help me get Windows installed on the iMac using some combination of what I have available? I feel like I've tried everything...

Thanks!

2. Holmes093 macrumors 6502

Holmes093

If your iMac is able to boot from USB, have you tried doing a USB install?

3. theaero thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes I have. It cannot boot from USB. I get a "No bootable device found" error. Its very annoying.

4. Holmes093 macrumors 6502

Holmes093

Could you give me the model identifier, to get this go to the apple menu, about this mac, system report, you'll find it in there

5. theaero thread starter macrumors 6502

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac12,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 3.4 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 8 MB
    Memory: 12 GB
    Boot ROM Version: IM121.0047.B1F

I've tried USB Harddrive booting, Using a USB external DVD drive, using a thumb drive, hacking plist files, using Target Disc mode with another computer, winclone, gdisk, fdisk.... I'm starting to feel very helpless.

6. Holmes093, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012

Holmes093 macrumors 6502

Holmes093

By any chance have you upgraded the RAM in this machine?

Firstly redownload the windows 7 iso, move over to a machine running windows 7, run ei.cfg remover on the ISO, download the Windows official DVD/USB tool, create your USB installer.

Then I recommend putting back the original value of ram back in the machine, reset the PRAM, boot into Mac OS X, create your partition FORMAT FAT, reboot, hold down ALT key boot to USB.

Holmes093

7. theaero thread starter macrumors 6502

I was able to successfully do it by installing windows on my MBP, and then Wincloning it to iMac

8. Holmes093 macrumors 6502

Holmes093

Did you sysprep the image before you cloned it?

9. theaero thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope. No need. I installed windows, but never finished the installation. I got to the point where it needed to reboot, then shutoff computer, booted into OSX, made the image. Cloned it on iMac, then finished installation on iMac :D

10. Holmes093 macrumors 6502

Holmes093

Job Done! Congrats, did you make sure to shrink the partition before capturing so you can restore to different HDD sizes?