help with bootcamp windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by wingate.white, Oct 26, 2012.

1. wingate.white macrumors newbie

Jul 1, 2012
    Jacksonville, FL
    I have a rMBP 2.6-16-512 and I would like to partition it and be able to dual boot with windows 8 via bootcamp. I've been looking for a copy of windows 8 to purchase but so far all I have seen is upgrades from a previous edition, nothing to install from scratch. Could someone please link me to what I need?
  2. applebro macrumors regular

Sep 8, 2012
  3. Sgtarky macrumors regular

Dec 24, 2011
    if it is like vista or 7 first you install it without the will do a a full install as an upgrade...then when in windows. do an upgrade install and put the key in. just guessing that 8 will do the same.
  4. Brenster macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2008
    Alas no, it won't. You need an activated instance of a qualifying version of Windows in place first. Once the installation wizard has qualified your instance of Windows to be upgraded, you can elect to do an in place upgrade or a custom install whereby you can format the drive/partition and then install Win8.
  5. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Dec 13, 2004
    It's a shame they just don't tune the installer so that you enter the vista/xp/7 key first and then the 8 key before install. Such a complex solution to a simple problem.
  6. staylor macrumors newbie

Oct 28, 2012
  7. Soundflunky macrumors regular

Apr 29, 2012
    This might sound odd, but if you pirate it, and attempt to activate it, there's an option to buy a license. I'm not sure if that's something everyone sees before inputting their code, and if you can still proceed with pirating it, because since I actually wanted to buy it, I took that option and paid with PayPal. I also got a link to download a legit copy and there was an option (which I didn't take) of having a DVD copy shipped.

Just plain odd that they don't offer a way of getting it directly.
  8. thepalestblue macrumors newbie

Oct 27, 2012