Help with bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Jeff Wayne, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Jeff Wayne macrumors newbie

Sorry for the poor title but i couldnt really think of what to title this issue.

Anywho heres the deal

Long long ago i setup a bootcamp partition running windows xp and all was good in the world. Maybe 6-7 months ago i setup another bootcamp partition but this time with windows 7. everything was good in the world.

So when i had both those copies of windows on my computer, when i would start up and hold down the boot option key, one disk would show up saying windows. when i clicked on that it would take me to an old school dos looking screen asking me to select which copy of windows. i would select whichever i chose and it would boot in just fine. all was right in the world...

So a few weeks ago im doing some spring cleaning on my computer and decided to delete the old copy of windows that i no longer used so i can clear up that partition. however now that its deleted i cant get into the working copy of windows 7 anymore. bootcamp just cant seem to see it or something. i even tried reinstalling a copy of windows XP on a partition in hopes of getting that dos like screen that gave me the choice of which copy to boot up. but alas no luck. when i select windows it just goes right into xp

so the question is how can i get windows 7 running again? is there some way i can transfer all the data and settings from the current windows 7 drive to a new one? i just really dont feel like spending weeks downloading all my games and reinstalling everything

i hope i have been clear. thank you for any insight

2. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

You might get some luck from using the repair tools that come on the Windows 7 disc. Boot from your Windows 7 disc and you should get a Repair option. One of the tools you get is Startup Repair. That may fix your problem that you're having. That tool has saved my bacon a few times in the past.

If that doesn't work, doing a upgrade install on top of an exising Windows 7 installation is the equivalent of doing a repair install. All data and programs will remain intact but you'll lose all of the Windows Updates that were released after Windows 7 was released.