Help with Bootcamp !

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by hellomoto4, Nov 3, 2008.

1. hellomoto4 macrumors 6502a

hellomoto4

Hey

I'm getting my Mac soon, probably Wednesday (AUS), and I was looking into the whole Bootcamp thing.

I am currently running XP on my laptop, and as you all know Bootcamp allows you to run windows on a mac.

Well, I was wondering how to put the XP System I am using now onto my Mac. I don't have any CDs or anything at all as my Computer Tech guy did it all for me. Is it possible to do?

Thanks.

2. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

you need a windows install disc.

i think any version of vista is ok. for xp you need an install disc with at least service pack 2 included.

i own an XP disc, but it's an original, so i downloaded an .iso/image from xxxxxx torrent (not sure if i can post that!) of XP with SP3 (ie. a newer XP install disc) and used my older, but still valid, install key.

if you have a valid key, maybe you could also do this?

3. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

I remember last year installing vista to my mac from a .iso file without burning it off first. I cant remember if this was in bootcamp or parralells, is it possible in boot camp?

4. big duck macrumors member

I'm sure there's a hundred guides on how to do it in detail.
    But, put simply.
    Your mac comes with an application called bootcamp.
    run the app, it will ask how big a partition you want (you have to create an artificial 2nd hard drive, and you give up xxGB of your hard drive space to it. Then you put your XP disk in and follow it through. If there's no glitches it should just run through smoothly.

5. hellomoto4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hellomoto4

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Yes, you need at least an XP disk with SP2 or SP3. It can be a retail installation disk or an unused OEM disk (or "System Builder" disk as Microsoft calls it) such as this one at newegg.com. BootCamp will NOT work with system restore disks from other PCs.

Please also do yourself a big favor and download the BootCamp Installation Guide (and review all the other information) on the Apple BootCamp page!!! ;)

7. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

also you probably can't use the same key that you have used/are using on your old Windows PC, unless you don't want to use Windows on the old computer anymore. (and if you are selling the older computer, then you probably can't use the Windows key that you are also selling.)

you'll run into problems with Windows Activation/WGA eventually, unless you crack windows somehow.

8. Twilight Elk macrumors regular

Twilight Elk

Shouldn't be too hard, should it? lol

Seriously, though, since they are selling Windows XP again, you should get a copy of that if you are picky about stability. Or maybe, somehow, Vista has drastically improved their security measures?

To be honest, I've been a bit busy to see the latest Windows news.

9. Farleylovesmac macrumors newbie

help with vista drivers :((

hey ive installed vista ultimate on my new aluminium macbook
    and i need to install my drivers but i dont know where too find them
    some people say download them but where from ??
    and others say use your leopard install disk but all it does is prompt me too install leopard which i allready have done
    any help would be greatfully recieved thanks in advance
    Farley :)

10. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

11. RealaT macrumors regular

Only the beta version of bootcamp (the one used in Tiger) did this, the final version in Leopard does not as all the windows drivers are included on the Leopard install DVD

12. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

ah, yes you are correct.

so all Farleylovesmac has to do is to put the Leopard DVD in the drive while booted up into XP/Vista, and they will be able to install the drivers.

13. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

pop the leopard disc in when vista has loaded and run setup.exe if you have vista x64 on you UniBook you will have more problems but if its x86 you should be fine :D

14. Farleylovesmac macrumors newbie

thanks guys all of this sounds great i'm gonna give it ago now :)
    but when i put my leopard dick in it just wants me too install leopard and download the latest updates for apple
    hmmm anybody know where i'm going wrong ??
    thanks again in advance :)
    Farley :):D

15. Atomic Dude macrumors newbie

if you just want to do work in windows programs, such as microrsoft word etc., i would really recommend using Vmware Fusion or Parallels. (but you'll want a big amount of RAM, ie 4GB, and a good processor speed to avoid lag)

I currently have a vista partition which i use for windows games... although i really regret it coz my macbook has the crappiest graphics Intel GMA can offer and the bootcamp drivers in vista is the WORST PART, especialy the trackpad.
    The buggy scrolling, the annoying right clicking, and NO tap to click.

Apple could make better drivers than this. But theyre just too pissed about putting windows on mac. really what a waste of $250.:(

16. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

are you putting the leopard disc in while running bootcamp, and not while in OS X? you need to put the leopard disc in when windows is running.

17. Farleylovesmac macrumors newbie

yeah im putting it in when im in vista and all its asking me too do is install leopard :S

18. richorlin macrumors regular

Bootcamp

You cannot be getting that message while running Windows. Windows won't recognize the OS X program on that DVD. It will only recognize the setup.exe
    You are doing something wrong then and are not in Windows. You have to restart your Macbook and hold down the option key until you see the two drives labeled Macintosh HD and Windows. Choose Windows and you should boot into Windows. THEN insert the Leopard DVD.

19. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

agreed. from memory it was pretty straightforward. boot into windows, put in leopard dvd, run setup.

if leopard is wanting to be installed, it does sound like you are still in osx, or you are holding down c during boot... something like that?