Help with booting from Carbon Copy Cloner backup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Robbietaylor, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Robbietaylor macrumors regular

I have a backup of my mac on CCC and I just got it back from getting the hard drive replaced and when I try to boot from the backup I get a kernal panic but when I open it in Mac OS X all the files are there

I have a 2010 MacBook Pro.

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Are you booting into 64bit mode. Also try a PRAM/SMC reset.

3. Robbietaylor thread starter macrumors regular

How to I boot in 64bit mode?

4. Stingray454 macrumors 6502a

To boot in 64bit-mode, hold down the "6" and "4" keys while the computer boots. Same for 32bit, hold down "3" and "2".

5. Robbietaylor thread starter macrumors regular

I tried resetting PRAM and that did not work.

6. Robbietaylor thread starter macrumors regular

64 bit mode didn't work

7. Robbietaylor thread starter macrumors regular

8. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

SMC? If that doesn't work then its time to make a Genius appointment.

9. Robbietaylor thread starter macrumors regular

It turns out that I was Carbon Copy Cloner not super duper.

when I navigate to the file in finder all the files are there is there anyway to make those files bootable?

Also because it is not CCC anyone have anymore advice?

10. Robbietaylor thread starter macrumors regular

ANYONE?

11. mihirkamat macrumors newbie

mihirkamat

Use Migration Assistant

Hi. I assume you want to get back all your stuff from the backup which clearly won't boot (properly) but still has all the original data?

I had this problem once, and what I actually did was installed OS X (clean) on my laptop and then used migration assistant to bring everything over from the external drive that wouldn't boot.

It's a bit roundabout, but I bet it'll work.

Good luck.
    :apple:

12. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Suggestions/queries:
    1. Are you certain that you made a bootable clone in CCC?
    2. How are you trying to boot from the clone - should be connecting the external drive, powering on the Mac whilst holding the option key down, waiting until the boot selection screen appears and then choosing your external drive to boot from
    3. Could be worth renaming your thread to something like "Help with booting from Carbon Copy Cloner backup" now that you've determined it's not SD
    Other than that, mihirkamat's suggestion above should work. If you say you can open the backup in OS X, have you already installed the OS on your new internal drive?

13. Robbietaylor thread starter macrumors regular

When I try to use Migration Assistant after I tell it the type of restore it just keeps spinning.

14. Robbietaylor thread starter macrumors regular

Now I am scared I didn't make it bootable and when I try to boot from it I use the option key.

15. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

And what happens? Do you see your external disk listed as one of the boot options on the grey screen? Or do you just see your internal HD and the airport symbol?

16. Robbietaylor thread starter macrumors regular

The disk is listed and then when I try to boot from it I get a kernal Panic

17. davidlv macrumors 65816

Assuming the external has Snow Leopard, insert the Mac OS X Install DVD in the superdrive, boot up with the option key held down and the external drive connected. Choose the DVD to boot from and reinstall OS X on the external drive. That will make it bootable, and leave all of your data in the home folder intact (for older OS versions use the Archive and Install option). Of course you will have to run the updates either before or after you clone the drive back to the internal HD (make sure you use the latest Ver. 3.3.3 of CCC).
    Also should run Disk Utility or better yet Disk Warrior on the external drive.
    You obviously have some corrupted files or another cause for the kernal panics
    so be careful not to lose all of your important data. Could you use a friends Mac to write the non-replaceable files to a DVD just to be safe?

18. Robbietaylor thread starter macrumors regular

Unfortunately all of my un replaceable data is gone cause I JUST GOT THE HD replaced and now the backup does not work.

Let me ask a question when I browse the disk in finder in the the user folder in the subfolders: picture or documents for example there is nothing in them!:eek: Does that mean that there is nothing even backed up like my photos from iPhoto or my documents from the documents stack?:confused::eek:

19. Robbietaylor thread starter macrumors regular

Bump:rolleyes:

20. Robbietaylor thread starter macrumors regular

If I reinstalled MAC OS X wouldn't that just erase the external and put a new install of X on it and wouldn't that erase all my data?

P.S. in the HD in finder there is no files in the user folders like no docs in docs or no pics in pics.

21. Robbietaylor thread starter macrumors regular

22. davidlv macrumors 65816

Your information is hard to understand. For example in your OP you said "I have a backup of my mac on CCC and I just got it back from getting the hard drive replaced and when I try to boot from the backup I get a kernal panic but when I open it in Mac OS X all the files are there", which is quite different from this post where you say there are files missing on the CCC HD backup disk.
    I also do not understand how you are viewing the backup disk. what system are you booting from, the internal disk? And what OS are you using, the latest MBP 2010 should have 10.6.4?
    When installing Snow Leopard on a disk that already has a system and users folders, the installer does not overwrite user data, it does a type of archive and install, with no old system folder like Leopard had, so your data should be OK. However, if as you say, there are empty folders then the data in those folders may already be gone or they may still be there with the invisible bit set so yu can't see them.
    Without ccorrect information it is impossible to help you without further risking data loss, However, if you are now running from the internal disk with OS 10.6.4, you should be able to just drag any existing data from the external disk to the internal HD.
    Sorry i can't be of more help.

23. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

There have been a lot of posts here, and for the benefit of myself and others trying to assist, could you please confirm if I've understood your updates etc. correctly. So, this is the sequence of events:
    1. You have made a CCC backup of your internal HD, believing the CCC backup to be a bootable clone
    2. You've had the internal HD replaced...
    3. QUESTION: has OS X been installed on your new HD?
    4. You've tried various ways to boot from your CCC backup, with no success
    5. QUESTION: have you tried Migration Assistant to recover the data from your CCC backup as suggested above, and what was the result?
    6. You can browse the external drive with the CC backup on it in the Finder (see my question in (3) above), but all you have within your User folder on the backup is empty sub folders - no actual documents, images etc.

Is all of this correct, and could you answer the query in (3) please?

24. repomonkey macrumors newbie

Well put - would think the OP would also do well to remember that those responding to his query are not paid staff either and that everyone here is helping on their own time.

25. Robbietaylor thread starter macrumors regular

I am booting from the internal HD
    I have 10.6.4