Help with botched downgrade from 4.3.5 to 4.3.3

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kcmacidiot, Sep 11, 2011.

1. kcmacidiot macrumors newbie

Hi Folks,

Today I tried to jail break my phone which was originally on iOS 4.3.3 baseband 05.12.01. I was having trouble with it not going to DFU mode so I restored factory settings which forced me to upgrade to iOS 4.3.5. Not so smartly, I continued to followed instructions for jailbreaking on iOS 4.3.3 even though I was now on iOS 4.3.5. So basically I downgraded using redsn0w without using TinyUmbrella to save my SHSH blob first. Now after being stuck in a recovery mode loop ALL day I'm realizing I may have totally screwed myself! No other hacks that don't require SHSH are working inculding recreboot and greenpoin0n

Is there anyway I can get out of the recovery loop, using a mac computer, without the SHSH blob???!!!! Please put any responses in very clear step by step instructions that a total novice can follow. I truly am new to this. Thanks for your help!

Kirstin

2. muttonhead411 macrumors member

Firstly, you cannot downgrade if you do not have shsh blobs saved. So you should check if you have your blobs saved via tiny umbrella. If tinyumbrella states that you have the blobs saved, then we can proceed from there.

3. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Or have a custom IPSW from iFaith?

4. kcmacidiot thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the followup questions. I don't have save SHSH files. I downgraded through redsn0w without using tiny umbrella first :( I was following the wrong directions for jailbreaking at that point....

I've never used iFaith to do a custom IPSW. How might I go about doing that? Would it help at this point?

I saw this article about downgrading without SHSH to fix a 1015 error. But I can't get my mac to read the .rar file type that the "restore" files are in. Any thoughts there would be great too.

I'm also considering using redsn0w to re-upgrade to 4.3.5 and see if that kicks me out of the loop. But I have a feeling I just turned my phone into a brick....

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can NEVER downgrade without shsh blobs.
    No matter what you heard or read.
    Use TU and check to see what you have available.
    If no blobs for 4.3.3 then you can never downgrade or restore to that firmware version.

6. kcmacidiot thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok. I understand and that is as I suspected. Now I am looking for ANY solution that will get the phone functional again. I'm wedded to a particular iOS or anything. I just want the phone to work.

Please let me know, can I get this phone to work? If so how?

I've taken almost 10 hours trying to resolve this issue but I don't want to waist anymore time if it's not possible. If the phone is dead please tell me. Thanks.

Kirstin

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You try plugging it to itunes and just hitting restore?
    It will put it up to 4.3.5 and as long as you didnt install the ipad bb the restore will go thru.

8. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

I don't know if this will be of any help, but when I update my iPhone 4 and iPad 2, I have to do it on my laptop rather than my desktop (both PC), which is the "home base" computer for iTunes sync.

The laptop downloads and installs updates without issue. Then I go to the desktop and sync. Works very smoothly, but I can't tell you why it will NOT update on the desktop (bricks and gives error message). I tried everything to get the desktop to load the update (any update) - but always the same.

When I was in your desperate position, I tried the laptop after someone in the forums mentioned they did the same thing. Weird thing: I can't sync using the laptop - just install updates. Go figure - but it works and I'll take it.

9. kcmacidiot thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried restoring from iTunes but I get error 1015. I believe redsn0w updated my baseband to iPad baseband and downgraded me to 4.3.3 but I don't have the freaking SHSH (I'm so mad at myself!). However, I don't know for sure that any of this happened because I can't get out of the restore loop! This is super frustrating. I made an appointment at the mac store but I think I'm just going to get embarassed because they'll be able to tell that I messed up when jailbreaking my phone.

I like the suggestion of using another computer but I don't have access to one. I just have my macbook....

10. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

If you upgraded to the iPad baseband, you would have to create a custom .IPSW to be compatible with that baseband for your iPhone. Even then, since you have no SHSH blobs saved, you could only use 4.3.5, which would be a tethered jailbreak.

11. kcmacidiot thread starter macrumors newbie

Great! Thanks Kyotoma. How can I create a custom .ipsw? I only know of iFaith but it's not mac compatible (from what I can tell). Any other programs out there that have easy to follow instructions....

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You have to use pwnage tool and like said above it's going to be a tethered jb.