help with bricked iphone 3g

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by chiz81, Jun 6, 2011.

1. chiz81 macrumors newbie

hi everyone, i have an iphone 3G that was running on 4.2.1 that was jailbroken and unlocked and did *not* have the ipad baseband on it, i think it was on 5.xx

i was downloading an app in cydia and it flipped out and went to the spinning circle screen for some time, when i plugged it into the computer it was recognisable, but i couldn't do anything on the screen. my power button is broken so i couldn't turn it off - i ended up restoring it, but i lost all my settings and it was no longer jailbroken...and without the power button to put into DFU mode i couldn't jailbreak it as it was running 4.2.1

i restored again to see if i could get my apps, messages etc back but this time accidentally clicked the wrong IPSW file and selected the 4.1.1 file and now the phone is unresponsive to the computer, charging and any buttons pressed.

does anyone have any ideas about how to get the thing running again without a functional power button?

2. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

getting it running again is one thing, but I don't think you'll be able to jailbreak is on the current firmware without using the power button to get into DFU mode (I think).

Do you have shsh blobs for 4.0 or 4.0.1?

You could use comex's "Star" jailbreak (aka jailbreakme.com) without DFU mode on that firmware, but as I recall that particular firmware made the 3G pretty sluggish. Your call.

3. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

downgrade it to 3.1.3 and then jailbreak it with Spirit or jailbreakme.com where you do not need to get the phone into DFU (hence, no need to use the power button).

4. chiz81 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the replies, but the phone is completely unresponsive so i am unable to downgrade it at all....

i don't really care about not jailbreaking it again as i'd prefer to just restore it so i can sell it - but it needs to be working before i can sell it! not sure how i would go about getting it running again...

i may have the blobs - are they in tinyumbrella?