Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

williamsonrg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2004
Denver, CO
First, I should say that I searched the forum for an answer, but didn't find anything, but if I missed it, just point me in the right direction.

I have a Macbook Core Duo and recently bought a Brother HL-2070N laser printer. I plugged it into my Linksys router, and was printing wirelessly to it for about 6 weeks without a problem (as was my XP-using roommate). All of a sudden, last night all my print jobs were hanging up. I deleted the printer, and went to re-add it, but it wasn't showing up in the list like it had before. Meanwhile, my roommate is still able to print just fine.

I've tried resetting the network card on the printer. I tried adding the printer manually using the IP address from the settings page, but that didn't work either. I'm relatively new to Macs (about 2 years), and I just really have no idea what else to try. I have another, inkjet printer that I connect to via USB, and that's working just fine. Any ideas?

iSaint

macrumors 603
Can you add it via USB again? I think you have to do that before you can add it via your wireless router again.

Is your friend still able to print from his XP machine? ...and you've tried to set it up using that IP address?

I have this printer. I'm printing via a switch in my classroom with my Powerbook and the school's XP machine. It stopped printing one day, but it had reset it's IP address. I set it up again and it's printing fine now!

williamsonrg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2004
Denver, CO
Can you add it via USB again? I think you have to do that before you can add it via your wireless router again.

Is your friend still able to print from his XP machine? ...and you've tried to set it up using that IP address?

I'll try setting it up via USB. But yes, my roommate can still print via XP, and setting it up with that IP address didn't work either. Very strange.

williamsonrg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2004
Denver, CO
I'm an idiot.

I spent HOURS this weekend, trying to figure out what the hell the problem was...

Turns out I was, unwittingly, connected not to my own wireless network, but to an open connection from a neighbor. Not sure when that happened, but I switched back to my router, and the printer INSTANTLY showed up in the list.

*sigh*

Reminds me of when my parents bought our first computer on Easter weekend. We spent hours on the phone with tech support trying to fix the audio. Should've plugged in the speakers first...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.