Help with building a resume?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by phas3, Jan 15, 2012.

1. phas3 macrumors 65816

I've been unemployed for about two years now, I'm 24 years old and the only employment I've had was my enlistment in the Marine Corps. Unfortunately they didn't teach us how to create a resume for ourselves when we go back to the civilian world so I'm a bit lost. I don't know what steps to take to put the experience I've gained from the Marine Corps into a resume.

Are there any sources online where they help you build a resume?

It's a bit hard to translate what my job was in the military.

Combat Engineer: Demolitions, Construction, Driver, Gunner, Route Clearance, Mine Detecting...

Positions: Corporal E-4, Squad Leader, Fire-Team Leader...

Tours: Two tours to Iraq, first was all about blowing things up and searching for IEDs, second tour was helping out the locals. Building schools, homes, route repair...

can someone help me out.

2. woolyback macrumors regular

I think your CV should be tailored to what job/area of employment you're going after and highlight the skills you have that would dovetail into that.

I work with a lot of ex-mil guys and their CVs tend to focus on their experiences of working in teams, managing and organising people and how their military-learnt skills aligns with the competencies that civvies role is looking for.

Assuming you're based in the US and given your background, I would have thought the Boeing and Lockheed Martins, etc of this world would be a good place to start looking ?

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Yep, as stated above you should first think on what kind of jobs you want and then tailor a resume to fit that kind of job. Hell, make two or three or four resumes from different angles if you have an interest in a few different areas of work.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Have you looked into any "employment centers" near where you live?

When I was unemployed one of the conditions of collecting benefits from the state was connecting with one of these places. They offered free services exactly along these lines.

B

5. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

Well right now I'm a full time student going for my degree in Business with a Concentration in Finance. I want to start looking for jobs in the finance sector. I figured once I get my resume together I'm going to apply to the banks around my area, so I would want it tailored in that environment.

I wanted to get out of the military to get my degree in business but ultimately I want to be a firefighter, but for now as I work in getting my degree I want a job in the field where my degree will be intertwined with.

6. 184550 Guest

The VA has a wealth of information on this, and many other, subjects. You should take advantage of the many free and/ or reduced cost services you're entitled to.

Start here.

Good Luck!

7. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

If you're serious about entering the workforce, your success will be determined by your networking skills. I'd network with people who have the positions you want and I figure out what skills they use everyday. Then I'd write the résumé/CV and cover letter exactly like that.

Also look at peer+2 people, meaning people two years ahead of where you want to be and figure out what they look for in candidates.

I think just applying for stuff is really hard right now, you need to know people who get your CV/résumé into the hiring managers' hands and circumvent the HR screening processes.

Just my .02€.

8. Fresh Tendrils macrumors regular

Most universities have a student services/career guidance office where you can get resume/interviewing info. Go see them. They probably run workshops, and might even allow you to book a one on one session with someone. Also, have you considered applying for a desk job with the marine corps or another branch of the military? I would have thought that there would be administrative opportunities for people with a military and business background.

Other then that, do as others have said and stress to your potential employer how your military experience has allowed you to develop the following to a high standard; team work and organizational skills, critical thinking skills, decision making ability under time constraints and high pressure, a good work ethic etc.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Just Google "How to build a resume." Pretty much every result on the first couple pages of search results will say more or less the same thing.