Help with Business Mac Purchases

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JasonR, Mar 3, 2009.

1. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Ok...so I own a Macbook Pro (bought in July) that I love. I'm going to be selling this one to get new Mac Products for my business. Here's what I'll be using them for:

I travel quite a bit, so I need the portability of a notebook. I also need a decent system at home so I can remote desktop into it, and run files / Quickbooks stuff off of it. I don't plan on using the desktop system much, but rather as a back up and file server. I also need more screen space than the 15" Macbook Pro screen and the 17" is too big too lug around. I'd also like a media server for my home entertainment system, but my office is separated from my living room.

Here's what I'm planning on getting:
    Macbook Pro 15" Model.
    24" Cinema Display
    Mac mini (new)
    I already have an external hard drive for back up and file sharing

Here's my problem: if I put the mac mini in my office, I've got to use my Xbox to pull movies and the like off the mini. I can't browse the internet or iTunes on my 52" TV downstairs. If I put the mini downstairs, I can't use it as a print server and I can't use the 24" display with it. I thought about buying a second mini but I don't know if that's a good solution.

Recommendations?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You can use your MBP with your TV. Just get longer cable so it's easy to connect to the TV.

17" is not "too big" if you are in shape and have the right bag. I carry mine around almost every day.

3. JasonR thread starter macrumors 6502a

JasonR

I don't want something I have to plug and unplug all the time, plus the MPB will be used mostly for business...