Help with buying and Selling Strategy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WindowsTraitor, Dec 7, 2009.

1. WindowsTraitor macrumors regular

I currently have macbook pro 2.6ghz 200gb 7200rpm 512mb early 2008 with 20 days left in warranty.

I have the following options:

Sell it for 1700$(I am in europe), get a netbook for 380$ to get by. Sell the nebook in 4 months for about 280$ and buy the New macbook with quadcore...or an imac 27" quadcore. ($ available 1600 after all)

Keep it. Pay 180$ Extra for applecare on ebay. sell it next year for 1300. ($ available 1120 after all)

Option 2 is the easiest cause i do not really want to use windows.

I may also not buy again if I use option 1 as i need money for getting chained up( married)...

What do you guys think?

2. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

If you haven't felt the need to get more RAM in that macbook (512MB?????) and can get by with a netbook for a couple of months, you probably don't need a quad core CPU....

I would get 4gb of ram and applecare for your nice MBP and keep it until it dies. It's the most cost effective method and the machine will satisfy your needs.

Also how come you still have warranty when your macbook is almost 2 years old without applecare?

3. WindowsTraitor thread starter macrumors regular

the 512MB is for the graphic card....:) I have 4GB low latency memory....

I purchased the laptop from macmall on December 31 2008. They had an offer with a bunch of free stuff (parallels, printers, laptop bags, and some other things I cannot remember)

4. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Ahhh. I see.

Well I would either sell it now for the imac or keep it till it breaks.

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

You don't say what you'd use the computer for. If only reading emails the yes the little netbook would do fine. Linux works as well as Mac OS X for that purpose. But netbooks are worthless for video editing.

No one can offer informed advice unless they know more about how the computer is to be used.

6. prodigee macrumors 6502a

Keep it until you want/need to upgrade then sell it, I would get the AppleCare just so that when you sell it the person who gets it after you will still have warranty, and you can sell it for more. If you do that you won't have to deal with having a netbook in the middle and you can just go from one machine to the other.

That in my mind would be the easiest thing to do.

7. WindowsTraitor thread starter macrumors regular

Due to life changing events, I will not need the raw power for about 5 months. Nevertheless I am used to be up and running after 40s and not having to worry about start up menus, kernels, registries, viruses, antiviruses, and having a direct relation between time of the machine and speed.

After 1 year, and about 100 new softwares installed, my machine still works the same as the first day.

But at the moment I would rather have cash in hand. But I think i will regret it once I start using a little netbook...