Help with Buying Dilema

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ggibson913, Jun 28, 2008.

1. ggibson913 macrumors 6502a

ggibson913

Hey guys,

I ordered a refurbed 24" iMac. I currently have a Macbook which I promised to my niece when she got into college. I am having a tough time and thought I would get some advice here.

I'll start off by saying a MBP is a little out of reach for me a the moment. The macbook does 90% of what I want to do but there are times when editing photos or iMovie etc that some extra screen real estate would be nice to have. I am also interested in perhaps learning some objective C over the winter to maybe do some coding. The iMac seemed to be the perfect solution. In addtion to everything else I can watch DVD's pretty comfortably on it without too much difficulty. Also mostly the macbook stays in my room, on my desk. Not to mention the 256 MB graphics card.

There are occasions when I do take it out however, those time are rare but they do happen. I am going to make sure that my next phone has e-mail/internet capability (ie iPhone) so my thinking was I can just use my phone to check e-mail and surf when I need info on the road.

I am having some doubts on my purchase. I am thinking that another MB might be a better purchase for me. But again not sure which way to go.

2. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

If its mostly on your desk, you might as well go for an iMac. Maybe you could buy a cheaper mini-notebook (Asus EEE PC, MSI Wind) if you really want that bit of portability with you.

If you watch DVDs, which you said you do, then a bigger screen is helpful ;)... thus I suggest going for the iMac.

3. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

I think you made a really good decision, as long as you get a phone with email capabilities than you should be fine, if you rarely took your macbook around that probably means that you really didn't need to and it was just nice. If this is the case, then the benefit of having a monster of a machine out weighs that one or two times you would take you macbook places.

4. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

I would get an iMac, and a cheap notebook (not Apple) just for the rare occasions that I need mobility.