Help with Buying/Installing my own RAM + HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nyjets19, Jun 14, 2009.

1. nyjets19 macrumors newbie

I would really like to add my own RAM and Hard Drive into the laptop since its cheaper but I do not know what are good recommended products for that, and how to install them on a Mac (never wokred with a Mac computer before). Are the new laptops able to be taken apart or would I be breaking warranty if I do?

Can someone give me links to where I can find 2Gb RAM to upgrade from 2 to 4 and also a 500Gb hard drive? An external hard drive shell would also be in my preference.

2. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

For a hard-drive, I would highly recommend the WD Scorpio Blue 500GB. If you get it on New Egg it comes with a free external enclosure.

WD Scorpio Blue Combo Deals (make sure you choose the external enclosure)

For RAM, I would recommend buying from Crucial. Just go put in which model you have.

If you need instructions on how to take it apart, use iFixit.

About the warranty: As long as you only replace the hard-drive and the RAM, you will not void your warranty. However if you damage your computer while you are replacing either, you will void your warranty. Just be careful when you take it apart.

Welcome to the mac community!

3. nyjets19 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Warranty Voider (I like the name haha). For that external closure, could the old HD I take out of the Macbook Pro then be used in it, or does it only work with the 500Gb one?

4. nyjets19 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do I need to take the battery out before doing all this? How would I with those new batteries?

5. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

hahahaha.....
    new mbp its so funny :p

1.5 gb sata
    sd card reader
    not user replaceable battery

6. nyjets19 thread starter macrumors newbie

hahaha yeah yeah lolz, unfortunately you haven't answered my question. I need all the assistance I can, and don't have time for unnecessary comments like that.

7. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

hahaha, sorry bro.
    its safe if you shutdown your mbp before you upgarde it.

8. nyjets19 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks man haha sorry for any hostility.

9. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

no problem, happy upgrading :D

10. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

The enclosure will work with your old previous HD. Just remember that the enclosure that comes free is very cheap (quality wise). If you want to get a higher quality enclosure that also has firewire 800, you should consider the following ones. Just remember that you get what you pay for.

OWC

Oyen Digital