Help with buying MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by merbel, May 1, 2007.

1. merbel macrumors member

Well, I have committed to buying a Mac. Just went ahead and signed up for ProCare at the store but plan to buy at Macconnection to get the rebagte and save the tax. Think I am going with the 2.16. I am a pretty basic user now (photos, email, web browsing, Quicken)though look forward to learning new stuff on the Mac. Am I fine with 1 Gig memory or should I upgrade to 2 when I order?
    Thanks!

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

1GB should be enough but if you have the extra money mor Ram would be useful in the future.

3. jng macrumors 65816

jng

RAM at Apple is more expensive than RAM at other places like OWC and Crucial.

Buy the laptop first. Then upgrade the ram yourself afterwards. Apple won't cover the ram if it fails but both those places have good warranties and will send you a new stick if their RAM fails. Make sure you keep all packaging to be able to take advantage of that.

4. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

why?

5. merbel thread starter macrumors member

I went ahead and got the ProCare as I plan to order the computer today. And I saw the rumor that it was going up.

6. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i meant why do you need ProCare? most of the Apple employees i know say it's a waste.

7. merbel thread starter macrumors member

Hmm. Well, have it now so we'll see how I like it for a year. Then I can decide whether to keep it.

8. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

understandable.

you might be interested in this thread. i didn't check the specs, but $35/stick is a great price.

9. merbel thread starter macrumors member

Is it as easy as everyone says to add/replace memory on the MacBook Pro?

10. merbel thread starter macrumors member

Another question-will the Gig memory come as 512 in each slot or 1G in one slot with the other open?

11. merbel thread starter macrumors member

answered both my questions with a little research
    Easy to add
    Will have 1 slot empty
    Certainly cheaper to do it myself. Think I will order the 1GB and buy some cheap memory to add myself!
    Thanks

12. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

to reaffirm what you've already discovered, adding RAM is quite simple. Apple has instructions on their website and i think someone even made a video on YouTube that walks through the upgrade.

enjoy!