Help with buying the correct adapter

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Lyons00, May 8, 2013.

1. Lyons00 macrumors 6502

Hi,
    I just bought a DVR for my security cameras. It has a VGA and a USB on the back of the DVR I also have a 2011 iMac with mountain lion. I need a 6' piece that would work from my iMac to my DVR. Not sure what I'm looking for, need help in finding out what I could use to view the DVR on my iMac?

Thanks

2. macthefork macrumors 6502

What make and model of the DVR do you have? With that, it can be looked up to see what kind of output it has for compatibility with the iMac. The VGA output is pretty standard for most inexpensive computer monitors that could be purchased anywhere.

3. Lyons00 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a Digital Watchdog DW-VF4.

4. macthefork, May 8, 2013
    Last edited: May 8, 2013

macthefork macrumors 6502

It looks like the easiest way to connect this to your iMac is to connect it to your LAN (Router) through Ethernet. Then install the Mac Client software and access it through it's IP address.

You should have this info in the included Manual, if not, the manual can be downloaded, along with the Mac client software needed to operate and monitor the system on your Mac.

If you're looking to just monitor your cameras and set it up, an inexpensive VGA monitor and USB mouse connected to the DVR is all you need.

5. Lyons00 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,
    I did download the Mac client software. Was it doesn't show on the software is the grid pattern or a view of the live feed. I was just told to try a VGA to mini display port adapter. Thoughts?
    Thanks

6. macthefork macrumors 6502

on page 95 of the online manual (under 6.3.1 Screen Layout), it shows a button you can push in the Mac Client software to show live feed of the cameras. I'm not so sure the VGA to mini display port adapter would work in reverse like this. The iMac monitor can be used as a display from a display port source (digital video). Not likely from analog VGA source, though.

7. Lyons00 thread starter macrumors 6502

I got the Mac client software to work. What I would like to do is view stuff from the DVR. I could only do that from windows, which I don't have. Went to my neighbors house. Apple told me that the mini display port to VGA would work on my imac. Honestly he didn't seen to knowledgeable on this. Your say I won't be able to view this on my iMac with this adapter?
    Thanks

8. macthefork, May 8, 2013
    Last edited: May 8, 2013

macthefork macrumors 6502

Did Apple understand that you wanted to view the DVR on the iMac, using the iMac as a monitor through VGA output from the DVR? If Apple states that will work, then go ahead. I have my doubts, though, because of how mini displayport vs. VGA works. You can run a VGA monitor from the minidisplay port on the iMac, but you're looking to have a VGA signal converted to a digital video input for the iMac monitor. I'm not sure that adapter will do that. Shouldn't hurt anything to try it, though.

Be sure you can return it to Apple if it doesn't work.

Although, from the Manual, it's pretty clear you can watch the video from the Mac Client software, including zooming and focusing each camera as you watch it live, in a grid or individual cameras. The full manual I've been reviewing is here listed under "Documents." You can download it and look on the pages I've referenced for Advanced User capabilities in the Mac Client Software, if you don't have this.

You do have to set the DVR for monitoring in the Client Software (through drag and drop). Then you can view and control each camera attached to that DVR (page 96).

9. Lyons00 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

Called them back and made reference to what you said ( I appreciate your help). I explained to them that I wanted to view it from my iMac and he said it should work. All I can do is try and I've read a few things on this but not too savvy on this kind of stuff.

Thanks again

10. macthefork macrumors 6502

OK... Please let us know if that adapter works in this configuration in case the question comes up again. Thanks...

11. Lyons00 thread starter macrumors 6502

Will do. Should be here Saturday, maybe Friday.

12. Lyons00 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

I wanted to update you with my question, that you've been helping me with. You were right, the iMac does not recognize my DVR with the VGA adapter. Called Apple they tried for about a hour. I have to say your the only one that said it wouldn't work. Not sure where to go from here, other then keep going over my son's house when I need to get into the setting on the DVR.

Thanks again for your help!

13. macthefork macrumors 6502

Thank you for letting us know the outcome with the adapter.

I did add to my previous post, number 8. It does seem to indicate that you have to drag and drop the dvr identifier onto the video grid to get to where you can see the cameras live on the imac. Once this is done, you "should" be able to see live through the cameras, in addition to focus or zoom each individual camera.

Of course, you could also just purchase a cheap flat-screen VGA monitor anywhere these days. Then you could use the Linux software that's within the DVR to set it any way you wish by connecting a mouse to the USB port. This would be the most simple way of using it... with a dedicated monitor.

I looked at at that setup and it looks nice. I've considered security video system for our property, and this one does look good.

14. Lyons00 thread starter macrumors 6502

It is a real nice system. My neighbor just asked me, if I wanted a older Dell laptop for free. I took it and it works, just need a power supply cord, they kept that. For 20 dollars, I'll see if that will work and I'm sure it will.

Thanks again