Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dataz

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
OSX 10.8.2
Safari 6.0.1

Data is constantly being written to my SSD system disk, even when idling, and I'm worried because of the limited writes on SSD disks. After 60 min of idling, with only Activity Monitor running, almost 1 GB have been written. How can I stop it?

I have managed to remove the traditional website caching by locking the "com.apple.safari" folder in the "Caches" folder and disabled the "web image preview" but videos from sites like Youtube will still continue to cache. After watching two 720p Youtube videos 3.59 GB of video cache has been written to my SSD system disk. I want to stop Safari from cache videos, permanently.

Last edited:

Dataz

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
Spotlight is not indexing and swap file at 0 byte.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
Data has to be cached somewhere in order to access that data. As RAM is not always an option, the storage device in your computer is used.
As it is an SSD in your case, you worry about its life, but you do not need to:

Normally modern SSDs have a theoretical write/read limit of 10,000 to 100,000 cycles (P/E cycles), meaning if you had a 64 GB SSD and its cycle limit would be 10,000, you would have to write 625 TB to it, which would be 351 GB per day everyday for the next five years. Assuming those numbers vary and it would only be a tenth of that, it would still mean 35 GB per day, which under normal usage no average computer consumer does, not even with temporary files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.