Help with Canon Rebel XTi... Urgent!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Fuzzy Orange, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Fuzzy Orange macrumors 6502

Fuzzy Orange

I know this might sound strange, but the exposure on my XTi is wonky. When in Manual mode (or M), the exposure is always -2. All of my shots always turn out completely black. So, can anyone help me? I have a photographic assignment I must get done this weekend, so I kinda need help soon... Thanks.

2. Poeben macrumors 6502

Since you said you have an assignment, I won't give away too much:

1. The "-2" you are seeing is what your camera's meter is reading (of course on the xti there is nothing below -2.)

2. Manual mode requires the user to set all three aspects of exposure. Be sure you adjust them properly for your shooting conditions, i.e. your meter should read ±0.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

To get it off of -2 you either have to raise the ISO, make the shutter speed slower, or lower the F-Stop.

4. Fuzzy Orange thread starter macrumors 6502

Fuzzy Orange

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Hold the "Av" button and turn the dial

6. sjl macrumors 6502

sjl

There are two dials on the XTi (if I remember rightly; it certainly is the case on the 20D, and I'm pretty sure Canon tries to keep the interface reasonably consistent.) One is near the shutter release button. The other is a dial on the back of the camera.

One of those will control the aperture (f stop); the other will control the shutter speed.

7. npederse macrumors newbie

The XTi has only the one wheel (I'm fairly sure). But you're correct, hitting the AE button and the then dial will adjust.

8. dotcomlarry macrumors regular

You read the manual, that's how.

Manual here: http://tinyurl.com/2dw86h