Help with Carbon Copy Cloner, Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by slcseas, Mar 3, 2008.

1. slcseas macrumors newbie

I'm upgrading the hard drive in my MacBook and I want to use Carbon Copy Cloner to port the drive. I'm running Tiger 10.4.11 with Boot Camp Beta still installed. When running CCC, I can only clone one partition at a time. My question is, if I separately clone the Mac image and Windows image to the same disk (the new hard drive) will Boot Camp still run properly when I install the drive? It wouldn't be a big deal but I have an OEM license of XP so I can only install it once without having to jump through hoop with Microshaft. Could anybody who has successfully accomplished this task give me some pointers or let me know if this will work? Thanks in advance...

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

you could use WinClone or Disk Utility to clone the windows partition to a NTFS or FAT formatted external drive.

3. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Yeah, I use Winclone all the time for the job and can't recommend it highly enough. It will create an image file you just use to restore once your new partition is set up. It will even automatically configure itself to use a partition of different size than what you backed up if you configure it to do so.

Winclone is donation-ware and definitely donation-worthy.

4. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef