help with changing permissions on FAT16 micro sd card

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zea mays, Mar 24, 2008.

1. zea mays macrumors 6502

zea mays

I have a 2 gb micro sd card for my LG Chocolate phone. I was able to drag and drop files to the card on my G5 iMac. My DH has one for his Motorola KRZR that does the same thing. I recently got a 24" iMac and now the sd card is showing as read only. I am unable to change permissions (at least by any way that I can figure out) and the drive is not available in Disk Utility. Anyone have any idea how I can drag and drop files to this sd card?!?
    here's the info about the drive:
    [​IMG]
    thanks in advance!!!

2. anarchyd00d macrumors newbie

Same Problem! Need Help!

I just bought a 1GB microSD card for my phone and when I put it into my computer it wouldn't allow me to put files on it. It's format is MS-DOS (FAT16) and my permissions are read only. I have an iMac G5 and am currently running OS 10.5.4 Leopard. If anyone could help me reformat it or get permissions that would be great!

3. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

AFAIK, you can only write to FAT 32 disks, but just to make sure, check to see if the lock switch if engaged, which will make the disk read-only. If you reformat via the Phone, it may change it to FAT 32, otherwise you'd have to reformat it in Windows. BTW, FAT (12/16/32) does not support Permissions, at least not the same ones that OS X uses.

TEG