help with choice for new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sulu17, Jul 29, 2014.

1. sulu17 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I am finally ready to get a MBP and need some recommendation.

I run a business and need a good notebook. I already have 15", 17", and surface pro 3 windows machine but want something different this time. I have looked at new windows machines but I am ready for some fresh air and want to try MBP instead this time. I want something more solid with quality.

I use surface pro 3 for light task at the warehouse but would like new MBP for real work in office and home. I need to run office, QuickBooks, and some windows software. GPU is really not really important to me. I will probably use boot camp for window apps.

I was looking at refurb 10-2013 MBP 13 and MBP 15. Both look like very good price.

13 UV haswell dual core 8gb of ram and 512gb $1439

15 quad core haswell has 8gb of ram and 256gb $1529

The price difference very small at less $100.

15 looks good with quad cpu but its the ssd size. I will need install windows and this will be little tight, not useable but still tight. I can get by with 128gb ssd in surface pro 3.

13 looks better with larger ssd, but this one has UV dual core haswell and smaller screen which is not much larger than surface pro 3.

which would be better choice? Unfortunately, my budget will not cover for larger ssd in MBP 15.

I would really appreciate some input into this matter.

Thank you,

2. horsebattery macrumors 6502

Sounds like your main concerns are 1) large screen and 2) SSD space. (Budget is a given).

If the 15" is out, I suggest springing for a 8GB/256GB MBA and use an external monitor. If you grab a refurb, that should shave a few hundred off your total. But even without the external monitor, try it first and see if that suits your needs. If you actually do need a better processor (or know that the MBA is insufficient), then the mid-level 13" rMBP would be your other recourse.

3. sulu17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi

Thank you for the reply. I looked at the MBA and I would rather get MBP with retina screen. It looked much better in person.

I can probably still get by with 256gb ssd in 15" one. It will be tight but I think I can manage. It would be really nice to have larger ssd.

I know for this price range that 13" is really good deal and its the one that I should buy.

However it's just that there was little price cut today and the price difference between 15" 256GB and 13" 512GB MBP are so close now that I am having problem choosing between the machines. Usually 15" one were so much more...:D

I guess I might be asking for little too much at this price range. It's j