Help with choosing a decent Macbook pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GatFire, Jun 20, 2015.

1. GatFire macrumors newbie

Hey

Lately, I've been considering purchasing a high-end Macbook pro. I'm not so tech savvy with specs and would like to have some help or assistance in choosing a decent Macbook pro with some decent specs for about ~NZ$3,400.00. Currently, I'm debating between the 15" Retina Macbook Pro and the 13" Retina Macbook Pro both with what I think to be decent specs. The main problem I'm facing is that I don't know whether the initial 2.8GHz is better than the 13"s initial 3.1 GHz processor, does the initial value matter? Or is the turbo boost key? I also face the issue that I have no clue which graphics card is better, the Intel Iris Pro Graphics or the 13"s Intel Iris Graphics 6100 card? Which computer has a noisier fan and overall which would be the better buy for the value??

Thanks

Screen Shot 2015-06-20 at 9.01.23 pm.png Screen Shot 2015-06-21 at 4.40.18 pm.png

2. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

The 13" is a Dual-Core while the 15" is a Quad-Core. There is a huge performance gap between the two, the Quad being the faster option. In regards of graphics, the Iris Pro is slightly better that the 6100. There are a few other things to factor into the buy, like why are you going to use the machine for? Also what other thing do you look for in a laptop.

3. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

Probably he best comparison for you is the $1699 (mid model with 16gb upgrade) 13" and $1999 15" models, since those both would have 256gb/16gb. The i7 is not a worthwhile upgrade in the 13" model.

Between the two, the 15" will give you a quad core processor and better graphics. Both would be very nice upgrades, and IMO worth the $300. Plus you get a bigger screen. Some people don't like the weight/size, but that's preference. I'd personally choose the 15".

4. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Yeah me too, I'd go with the 15". I like to have a larger screen for multitasking, and usually, the bigger the computer, the better the specs

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

As others have stated, the 13" model is dual core and the 15" is quad core. Additionally, the i7 upgrade in the 13" model is a waste of money. It is a 3-4% increase in perforance over the 2.9GHz processor, and it costs $200.

Iris pro is better than Iris 6100.

What do you need? More processing power and bigger screen or more portability and battery life?

I went with the 13" model, I don't need the extra processing power but I do want the portability.