Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ldefoe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2015
How can I install OS 9 for classic mode in OS X 10.4.11 without any discs? And if discs are an absolute necessity how can I install OS 9 into Tiger if I don't have any Apple discs? What image file can I burn?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
So I have to format my hard drive? Is there any way to install classic without formatting?
???

Why would you need to format your hard drive? OS 9 and OS X share zero common folders. Just install.

ldefoe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2015
???

Why would you need to format your hard drive? OS 9 and OS X share zero common folders. Just install.
Ok that's what I thought. How do I do that though? I downloaded two different images from macintoshgarden.org but neither are working when I just mount the image and click the installer. It try's to open classic and then fails. How do I install the image? Do I have to make a CD ROM?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Ok that's what I thought. How do I do that though? I downloaded two different images from macintoshgarden.org but neither are working when I just mount the image and click the installer. It try's to open classic and then fails. How do I install the image? Do I have to make a CD ROM?
You have to burn the image to a disc then boot from the disc and install.

If you have no Classic folder already installed Tiger will not allow you to install one. You either have to boot from an OS9 installer and then install or copy a working System folder over.

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
Go to mac os 9 lives forums they have two OS9 installs. Try to just copy them to your HDD, then "unzip" them (they are .dmg or .sit usually). Then to try, if it works, open an OS9 application or game. You should now see OS9 opening/booting in a smaller window.

If that does not happen, after trying the above. Then go to disc utility. There you can see a small checkbox that says "install OS9 drivers". You need to check this when you format the drive. Well, formatting the drive will delete your OS X install, which you don't want.
Solution: download the app Super Duper by shirtpocket software. Connect an external HDD or USB drive (external HDD with Firewire connection preferred) and use SuperDuper to make a bootable backup on your external HDD/USB.
Try booting form the external backup to be sure, everything worked out fine. Now open Disk Utility while being booted into your backup and format the internal HDD HFS+ with Apple Partitition Map and checking "install OS 9 drivers".
After formatting, use SuperDuper to get OS X back from your backup to your internal HDD.

Now try installing and using OS 9 again.

Note: be aware OS9 in classic mode will not be super fluently with heavy apps or with games. Office apps will work fine though.
If your Mac is a Mac that was able to boot into OS9 anyway, then use OS9 rather directly, instead of inside the classic environment.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
So I have to format my hard drive? Is there any way to install classic without formatting?
When you drive was prepared/formated including the os9-drivers you are able to boot into os9 in addition to use os9 in classic mode. If there are no os9-drivers preexistent, classic-mode will works, as @eyoungren told before, but only classic-mode.

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
We still don't know what Mac he has, not all 'book G4s can boot natively into OS9. (mid 2005 ibooks for example). Yes, but he should be able to run Classic mode nevertheless.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
We still don't know what Mac he has, not all 'book G4s can boot natively into OS9. (mid 2005 ibooks for example). Yes, but he should be able to run Classic mode nevertheless.
Oh, yes, of course, you are right!
A look and everymac.com should give him the answer, if his Mac is capable of booting into os9 ...
If not, there's no reason to think about any os9 drivers and related stuff. Then just follow @eyoungren 's and @Cox Orange 's advise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.