Help with cleaning Matte screen.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by swmr, Mar 6, 2008.

1. swmr macrumors regular

swmr

I bought the iKlear kit last week when I bought my new MBP with a Matte screen. I figured it would be easy haha. The directions say for glossy screens use the micro-chamois to clean, and then the micro-fiber cloth to "polish" or basically just continue until all the iKlear is of. The directions for Apple Displays and Flat Panal LCDs just say to use the micro-fiber, so I think they mean for both steps. Which one should I do??!?!

2. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

you're making it too hard! just spray iklear on your screen, and wipe it away with the light blue cloth. the dark blue cloth is the one for glossy screens.

3. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Or, you could use water and a soft towel and it will do the same. I've used water for the longest time and it leaves my screen very clean with zero streaks, etc.

4. ArmyKnight12 macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

5. swmr thread starter macrumors regular

swmr

Okay that sounds reasonable. I just didn't know if one of the cloths would scratch the matte screen or something. Thanks for the info.

6. Mumford macrumors regular

Mumford

It's not a good idea to spray anything onto electronics, especially laptop screens. The little droplets that bounce off land right onto your computer and can cause problems. Get into the habit of spraying onto a cloth, and cleaning with that cloth.

7. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

Whatever, I've been cleaning my screen by spraying onto the screen for the past year and haven't had any problems. As long as you're careful and cautious about where you aim the mist, you're fine. And actually, iKlear can be used to clean your entire computer, casing and all. Getting iKlear on something other than your screen is not even an issue.

8. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

Thanks for cleaning my screen for me.

I use a microfiber dampened with water from time to time. No need for expensive products. You should spray onto the rag and not the screen itself, though. If any drops or moisture makes it behind the screen, it can damage and cause discoloration. I've seen it.

9. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

I've been using iKlear for 2 years now. iKlear's own directions say to spray directly on the screen. However, you are only supposed to use a very small amount--one spray or two.

I've never heard of what you are describing happen, ever...do you have any links that show this type of damage?

10. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

Looking into it further, what I saw was actually a rear-projection display with this damage, so my mistake. I once worked in a retail store and it was amazing to see what people did to their TV's and monitors.

Perhaps it's safe for a small amount of water or iKlear, but I wouldn't ever use more than recommended. And even still, I prefer it going onto the rag first.