Help with Cloning Drive for HD Upgrade

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by EB66, Aug 30, 2008.

1. EB66 macrumors 6502

Im upgrading my MBP's hd from 120 to a 320gb using super duper. All of my backed up dvds and a lot of video footage is on my external firewire and i don't want to do an erase then clone. There is an option in super duper to "copy different files" to the external but im not sure if this will work when trying to restore the information to my new drive.

Basically I want to know will mac allow you to restore your fresh new hd with a copy of the old one if the external you are restoring from has other files in addition to the clone?

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Are you putting the drive in the firewire enclosure inside the mac or you have another drive? If it's the second one the best thing is to buy an enclosure and clone your system directly there.

3. EB66 thread starter macrumors 6502

i just realized this is very simple and i could have taken out an extra step and saved myself a couple of hours

here is how i did it
    1.bought WD Passport
    2.Took drive out of passport
    3.Cloned mbp drive to external firewire drive (not passport)
    4.Installed passport drive in mbp
    5.Cloned external firewire drive to passport

i could have done this
    1.Bought WD Passport
    2.Cloned internal drive to WD Passport
    3.Take drive out of passport
    4.Install Drive in mbp

it is common knowledge im an idiot

4. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Well done - I would not say an idiot an extra few steps dont hurt.. Makes you think about what you are doing a bot closer and thus may make you less likely to miss a bit lol

5. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

No biggie- as long as it worked that is really all that matters.

The only advantage you really missed was that if you had cloned directly to the Passport first, you could have then pulled your internal out and stuck it in the now empty Passport case and already have had a clone in there to set aside for the time being.

You still have a clone on the FW drive for backup anyways, so no big loss! :D

7. EB66 thread starter macrumors 6502

true, im planning on keeping the clone on the FW drive because it has plenty of space and is not going to get misplaced or lost like a passport could if your not careful

i really really like the hd though and would definitely recommend it to anyone looking into this sort of thing

one thing to be careful of if you are doing the install by yourself is when you finally get to the point of taking off the top trackpad casing, you have to be really really careful and wiggle it around a lot to make sure it comes off easily because even the slightest bend will make you have a gap between the bottom case and top case mainly over the top of the disc drive

other than that it was cake

thanks guys