Help with connecting MacBook Pro to older Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by clairey, May 10, 2016.

1. clairey macrumors newbie

Help needed!

My MacBook Pro is not happy (and not backed up- whoops!). It just sticks on the grey Apple screen when you start it up.. Tried all the online advice (ie. disk Utility repair, Safeboot, fsck), but not working.

Next plan was to connect it to my Mac with Thunderbolt and try to back it up in Target disc mode, before reinstalling factory settings, but my mac is old and only has a FireWire connection. Is there someway of connecting thunderbolt to firewire? I've seen an adapter on amazon for £25. Will this work> is it worth the money, or am I unlikely to be able to back things up anyway??

Thanks for your advice!

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

I haven't tried it, but I would say it should work with the Thunderbolt to FireWire adaptor if your MacBook Pro doesn't itself have FireWire.

3. clairey thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh yeah, forgot to check whether the MacBook had firewire, and it does! I am an idiot! :) Will try firewire to firewire!! Thanks
    --- Post Merged, May 10, 2016 ---
    Next question! How do I work out if I need a 4/6/9 pin FireWire cable??

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Basically, you just need the cable that looks like the sockets you have. They're all different looking.
    Unless your other Mac is incredibly old, that's a FireWire 800 cable which has 9 pins.

5. clairey thread starter macrumors newbie

Brill! Thank you so much. Ordered on Amazon so should be here in 2 days. Fingers crossed it works!!....