Help With Connecting MacBook Pro To Television?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DrewBoehmker, May 27, 2009.

1. DrewBoehmker macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I am really bad with computers and such so this question may be difficult to explain, so please bear with me. Basically, I would like to hook my MacBook Pro up with my television so that I can watch YouTube videos, etc. of old shows that I used to watch without going through the process of burning each of them to a DVD and watching them through there.

Unfortunately, I do not know if this is even possible with the television I have -- and if so what cables I need. I have a Sony KP-43HT20 rear projection television. I don't know what kind of input/output it has -- I have seen things online about DVI and VGA, but I don't know what those terms mean. I don't use an S cable -- I use HD composite cables for the connection between my television and DVD player.

So basically I would like to know if what I am trying to do is at all possible. If so, what cables should I purchase?

Thank you SO MUCH in advance! I really appreciate it!

2. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Well, according to Amazon.com, the specifications are:

2 component-video inputs, 2 A/V inputs (1 front, 1 rear), 3 S-video inputs (1 front, 2 rear), 2 RF inputs, 1 center speaker input, and 1 monitor (rear)

Which means, in theory, you could get the Apple adaptor for your computer to change from whatever sort of displayport you've got to VGA, which will work for Video.

For Audio, you would need to simply use a headphone to phono cable.

TBH tho, you really need to check on the back of your TV to see what its got

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

That "monitor" connection is actually an output--I believe for "monitor" speakers. (This is from Sony's page.)

Meaning your input options consist of component, composite, and S-Video. The answer of what you will need depends on whether your MacBook Pro is one of the newest ones, with a Mini Displayport connector, or an older one with a DVI connector.

4. jman240 macrumors 6502a

This should help you a bit, at least with identifying cables and such.

For audio I would highly recommend asking radio shack or a local cable supplier for "stereo mini jack to RCA adapter" this will output from the headphone jack of your MBP to the Red and White RCA connectors you're used to and that looks like this http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...BIZRATE&cm_mmc_o=2mHCjCmtB5ObkkzCjCVqHCjCdwwp

As far as video goes, you have a few options depending on the model MBP you have. I don't want to get into all that but here are some things you may wanna look at just to get an idea of what is what.

VGA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_connector
    DVI http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

5. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Yep, I stand corrected. "Monitor Output" in black and white can't argue with that.

VGA and DVI won't help as this particular TV doesn't have those ports.

I would say that this is what you need for Video and then for audio you want something like this although it doesn't have to be as flash as that and can be picked up for a couple of £'s or $'s

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

If I'm reading correctly and the TV has component input (it would look like a set of three round connectors in red, blue, and green; it does have yellow, red, and white, but that's different) then the best quality would be had with a VGA to Component Video adapter. A google search turns up dozens, though I'm not exactly sure how fancy of one you need to get this working correctly (that is, whether one that's just a cable will work, or if you need a powered converter box).

You'd then need to pair that with either a DVI to VGA adapter (cheap from dozens of companies) if you have an older MacBook Pro, or a mini Displayport to VGA adapter (somewhat more expensive, only available from Apple and one or two other companies right now) if you have a newer one.

A quick Google search on any of those terms will show you what the connectors look like for them.

So your setup would look something like this:

MBP -> DVI/Displayport to VGA adapter -> VGA to Component converter -> TV

(Note that while component video will get you the best quality, you can also use a composite or S-Video adapter if all you want to do is watch YouTube videos; they may be cheaper.)