Help with connecting macbook to tv....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sara213, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Sara213 macrumors newbie

Sara213

Okay so i went out to buy a Mini-DVI to Video Adapter. I want to set up my macbook to display it's screen on a tv.

So i searched through the manuals and found:

Connecting a TV, VCR, or other Video Device

1) connect apple mini-dvi to video adapter to the mini-dvi port on your macbook. did this step

2) Connect the device to the adapter.

3) if you want to send sound from your macbook to the device, connect a minplug to- RCA cable from the headphone port on your macbook to the audio input on your device.

4) Turn on the external device

5) to detect the TV or other external device, hold down the command key and press f2 key. You can also open the displays pane of system preferences and click on detect displays button. ( I thought maybe it is the F7 key but that doesn't work either)

6) to adjust how the image is displayed on the device, use the displays pane of system preferences.

I followed the directions above but I can't seem to get it to work. Maybe i'm missing something? I don't know.

a little help please and thanks.

2. Sara213 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sara213

When it is plugged in it detects the tv however it doesn't show my desktop on the tv. do i have to press another button or change a setting?

3. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I have never tried that so this might be a stupid question. Does your TV have to be on a certain channel for it to work?

4. Sara213 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sara213

It does Line 1 and 2 and the composite cable it connected to Line 1 and that is the channel that i set it too.

Or it might not display because this is a dynex mini-dvi to video adapter? << I had some success but the picture doesn't show clearly. it's just looks like a bunch of lines scrolling down. (I'm going to try s-video now)

here is a image:

[​IMG]

5. Sara213 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sara213

Solved

It's fixed.

I went to future shop and I asked if i could get help with connecting my macbook to the tv with the mini-dvi to video adapter. first they tried with the dynex and that yeilded the same result as I did. Then we tired the apple brand of the mini-dvi to video adapter and then it worked.

In the end i bought the apple brand mini-dvi adapter and now i don't have a problem.

6. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Glad it worked out for you. Sorry I couldn't help, but maybe this thread will help someone else in the future.