Help with connecting my Macbook Pro to my Sony HDTV

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by xempt17, Jan 18, 2009.

1. xempt17 macrumors newbie

Im trying to connect my macbook pro to my sony 1080p HDTV using the DVI-VGA converter that came with my computer. The input on my tv is VGA so all im using is a cable from my desktop computers screen to connect into my TV. Ive connected it and everything seems working, but the color...Its solid Red. Im trying to figure out why it only displays everything in red on the tv there isnt any color. How would I fix this? Thanks.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. xempt17 thread starter macrumors newbie

I see my TV has an HDMI connection so I will try that and let you know how it works out.

4. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Do you know for certain that the cable is OK? How long is the cable? Is it a quality cable or the cheapest possible version?

Have you tried connecting the cable while both the TV and the Macbook Pro are turned off?

Well, VGA isn't all that bad. It usually way more compatible than DVI-HDMI... Certain computer/TV combinations will annoy you endlessly if you try that conversion. But if DVI-HDMI works flawlessly in a setup, it is indeed a preferable solution.

Additionally, it seems to be quite common for 1080p sets to restrict VGA input to 1360x768, whereas HDMI accepts 1920x1080.