Help with "Contact Us" form...

h0kie99

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2004
VA
OK, so up to now the only kind of form I've known how to create is a simple mailto form. Sad, isn't it? :( Now, I would never use a mailto form on a professional site... up to this point I have enlisted the help of our production centers to create the forms for me. Of course these are not highly customizable and we are paying extra for them. I want to be able to create a good "contact us" page that does not use a "mailto" form... I read through the Matt's Script Archive FormMail site and it is completely greek to me. I have no idea how to implement all that stuff into my little HTML file.

It doesn't need to be free.... I just want it to be useful, customizable, and relatively easy to implement. Is there any kind of form software I can purchase that I can customize and use over and over again for my clients? HELP!!!!

cleo

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
Have you checked out http://formmail.com? It's basically a hosted version of Matt's FormMail that walks you through the config and form-building process to make it super-easy. Depending on how much mail you expect to receive, it's quite economical, as well.

h0kie99

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2004
VA
ok, am i totally stupid? i read over both those sites and i am thoroughly confused!!!! :confused: the formmail site keeps saying how quick and easy this is, but WHAT? like, what exactly is it that i need to DO? i am lost. i tried some really easy ones and it was fine, but how do i customize it to have questions that i want to ask for the client? ... something as specific as "what color is your room?" __ blue __ red __ green

is this a complicated thing? i mean, should i be trying to teach myself, or is this something that i need to take a class on? like i said before, i've only done "mailto" forms but i think i need something more professional, that doesn't try to open up the user's mail program before sending the form!

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
h0kie99 said:
Now, I would never use a mailto form on a professional site... I want to be able to create a good "contact us" page that does not use a "mailto" form...
By "mailto form" do you just mean a "mailto:blah@blah.com" link? Otherwise, I don't think I understand what you're saying.

Matt's formmail is really not that difficult, download it and read the "readme" file, it takes you through the whole process. I didn't know the first thing about cgi when I started building websites but this script was the first thing I did.

All you're doing is setting up a contact us form with a bunch of hidden tags that gets sent to the formmail script, which in turn sends the email. As long as your server has cgi-bin and you know how to change file permissions, you can do this.

albertindian200

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2005
USe Planet sorucecode or freelance to others

Hi friend, You can use planet-source-code.com for more source code in diff language or freelance the website for others.

Albert

h0kie99

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2004
VA
The web4future site is GREAT!! I have finally figured this out. Thank you all!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.