Help with content for new site?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by dazcox5181, Jul 28, 2010.

1. dazcox5181 macrumors 6502

Hi,

My wife wanted to start a website as she'll be off on maternity leave and needs to stay sane!

She wanted to do something targeted to parents and families where they can find articles and reviews written by 'real people' on products etc.

She has a few contacts who can help supply products, and I was drafted in to set the site up.

Theres a way to go yet, but the stumbling block we have right now is getting a good level of content (Content is King as they say) to start with, and how to kick start the forums.

I've gone the usual facebook/twitter route, but have not had much luck with other parenting forums etc as they naturally remove the posts!

What tips does anyone have for attracting people to help write content. Obviously we dont see this as a business so can't pay (at least not at first).

My feeling is to ditch the idea completly as the market is possibly saturated already...

Anyways, if you want the site is (temporarily) at http://mummyknowsbest.webatu.com

We'll move to a 'proper' host once it's looking like a go-er.

Thanks

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Certainly tricky to get quality free help for content. As an alternative to money, could the contributors be paid in another way? Doesn't have to be something worth a lot, just worth enough to the contributor. Could be a simple as a raffle based prize, or if your wife creates anything (crafts, photography, cakes, etc.) she could use those as bartering. Just takes some out-of-the-box thinking.

Like you say though, the topic she wants to cover already has a bit of a presence from others so it can be hard playing catchup to businesses who likely have more financial backing to keep the site moving.

3. ethical macrumors 68000

Going on from what the guy above me said about paying contributors in a different way, how about offering some sort of site affiliation. Free ad space if these contributors have their own sites, or some sort of business links. They might not go for it, but it's worth a shot.

4. dazcox5181 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, will have a think.

We have a few bits that could go as prizes that are brand new from companies etc.

Ad space is a good idea, just need to see if we can hunt some some suitable sites and get in touch.

Anyone got experience of good open source CMS systems - I used Drupal, but it's quite complex have tried joomla in the past, not sure what's "better"

5. ethical macrumors 68000

I use drupal for a CMS site. I struggled with it at first, mainly because I wasn't the one who set up the site, so was dropped right in the middle of it with no clue about how it was built. But the large community make support very easy to get, and extra features are usually available as modules that other people have made.