Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foneschlomo

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Hi,
We have a corrupted quark file and none of the usual techniques seem to be working. Does anyone have Markztools that could give this a whirl? We don't want to buy the software until we know if it will even help in this situation.

Thanks!
Justin

flrazor

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2004
Saint Paul, MN
What sort of corruption is going on? Will the file open or does it just crash? Are you getting an error message? What are the "usual techniques" you are trying to fix things? The more info you can give the better we might be able to help out.

foneschlomo

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Sorry,
We are working in OSX Leopard, with quark 7. We manually back up to a PC server, which I think is causing the problems. However, certain files simply will not open. We try command open, etc, but the error we get says there is an invalid file format.

flrazor

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2004
Saint Paul, MN
Do your Quark files have the .qxp file extension on the end, or do they just have a file name with no extension? I've had this happen sometimes where Quark didn't recognize it since we didn't have the .qxp extension.

If they don't have the extension on them, try manually adding it to the filename (you'll get a warning from OS X asking if you really want to change the extension that you'll have to agree to) and then see if the files will open. If they still don't work or have the .qxp extension already and still won't open, then we'll have to find something else to try.

Infinitygraphix

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2008
File name can be .qxd or .qxd

depending on the version they wre created/saved.

Quark extension used to be .QXD.. but I just realize that they are now .QXP

Do your Quark files have the .qxp file extension on the end, or do they just have a file name with no extension? I've had this happen sometimes where Quark didn't recognize it since we didn't have the .qxp extension.

If they don't have the extension on them, try manually adding it to the filename (you'll get a warning from OS X asking if you really want to change the extension that you'll have to agree to) and then see if the files will open. If they still don't work or have the .qxp extension already and still won't open, then we'll have to find something else to try.

flrazor

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2004
Saint Paul, MN
File name can be .qxd or .qxd

depending on the version they wre created/saved.

Quark extension used to be .QXD.. but I just realize that they are now .QXP

Right, was .qxd (Quark Express Document) through version 6 IIRC, then updated to .qxp (Project) with version 7. Since the OP was using ver 7 I went for the current extension. Good call on either being valid, though. I've been able to take old files that didn't want to open and use the current .qxp extension and get them to open, even when created in earlier versions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.