Help with D-Link router (constantly resetting itself)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by someguy, Jun 2, 2008.

1. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Hey guys, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but I'm having trouble with this D-Link router and my new Comcast cable service.

As you can see, the service works fine (using it now, wired directly to the modem) but when I run it through my D-Link router, it does not work right.

Here's what I do:

Unplug both devices.
    Power on modem and wait 'til it's connected.
    Power on router and wait 'til it does it's thing.

Here's what happens:

Cable modem acts as it should.
    Router fires up fine, connects (lights flickering like mad), gives me a very short lived connection to the internet, then resets itself.

By "resets itself", I mean my connection goes away and all the lights on the router temporarily light up and then go away. This happens about every 15 seconds or so.

Here's what I've tried:

Resetting the modem.
    Resetting the router (per D-Link's instructions, not 100% sure it worked though).
    Using different ethernet cables.
    Releasing and renewing the DHCP lease from my PowerBook.

Fail. :(

Can anyone provide me with some tips to get this thing going? Why does the modem keep resetting/rebooting itself?

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Sounds like a bad router. What does the router do when its not connected to the Cable modem? Does it still go though all the resets, or does it just sit there?

3. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

It goes through the resets, then when I manually reset it (which seems to work from time to time) it will act like it should, issuing an IP to the computer (sometimes). I get a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 which I think is weird, and no default gateway, so I can't upgrade the firmware or even check the router settings.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Thats what I think too.

Can you try starting it up without the cable modem plugged in?

5. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Yeah, it more or less does the same thing until I manually reset it, then it stops rebooting itself, but I get no default gateway and I don't think the subnet mask is correct.

It's just weird that it actually connects to the internet for a second or two. Maybe I'll see if I can pick up a router from work or something.