Help with DDR3 RAM

DavisP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2010
Hello everyone!

I'm planning on buying new RAM for my iMac. I have been researching for the past few days on what RAM is and what it does because I am kind of a newbie in this subject. I understand the basic stuff but when it comes to phrases like "pins, CAS latency, if computer won't be able to support" and the price range for DDR3 rams differs a lot.
I'm looking at 8GB-12GB max 16GB RAMs for video editing, animation and that kind of stuff. I own a early 2009 iMac 20'' which has 2GB of RAM and it's a real pain in the ass for me. Can't even render clips normally.
If anyone could write their suggestions, tips or links it would be much appreciated.

P.S. I can post tech spechs. Just tell me which are needed, didn't want to spam the long list.

DavisP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2010
The early 2009 iMac can only take 8 GB RAM at max: http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...o-2.66-20-inch-aluminum-early-2009-specs.html

Look at Newegg or Amazon or Crucial or Corsair for 204-pin DDR3 SO-DIMM PC8500 RAM, it should cost around 50 USD for two 4 GB modules.
Btw, rendering is more dependent on the CPU, unless you mean Preview Render in AE.
what's the difference between 2x4GB and a 8GB piece? If I understood correctly that 204-pin....2x4GB is the maximum that my Mac can handle and anything better would be just wasted, right?

Nov 28, 2010
located
what's the difference between 2x4GB and a 8GB piece? If I understood correctly that 204-pin....2x4GB is the maximum that my Mac can handle and anything better would be just wasted, right?
Two 4 GB RAM sticks cost 50 USD, one 8 GB RAM stick costs 80 USD.
And as the article I linked to says, 8 GB is the maximum RAM. Thus just get the two 4 GB RAM modules and see, if that helps.